Bought the bike!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Thistle

Bought the bike!

Post by Thistle »

I have been off the bike for a few years now due to health issues. I have changed my diet dramatically and now feel ready to get back on the bike.

My idea was to buy a cheap-ish steel framed bike to start off and do some small tours next year, buying a better bike when I could afford it. Hopefully I would be doing the C2C in the next year or two and LEJOG the year after that

I have the chance to buy a King of Mercia 531ST 2000's bike in very nice condition for the same price as it would cost to buy a Galaxy of the same era/condition. My first thought was that I could upgrade the bike over the next couple of years and end up with something of a much higher quality than I thought I could afford.

I did a search on here and it seems like there are plenty of people who are not fans of this bike. Would it not make a nice, sturdy tourer?

UPDATE - bought the bike and have been assured that 32mm tyres fit. I can't wait to get back out there. Will post pics once I have it fettled to my liking.
Last edited by Thistle on 10 Aug 2015, 3:12pm, edited 3 times in total.
TrevA

Re: Should I buy this bike? King of Mercia

Post by TrevA »

King of Mercia is more of a light tourer/audax bike, so you are not comparing like with like. It will only take calliper brakes which limit the size of tyre to around 28mm, so if you are wanting to do full blown touring with heavy panniers then it's not the bike you need, but a KoM would make a perfectly good bike for day rides and light, credit card touring. I broke the frame on mine but then I'm a big, heavy, powerful rider. Mick F of this parish has had his for 30 years and tours with a Carry Freedon trailer attached to his Mercian.

I would not buy a new one because the frame alone costs around £800, but if it's in decent nick and suits the type of riding that you want to do, then go for it.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

thank you! I also have a carry freedom trailer so maybe it would bo ok. Good enough to get back in to it I guess, then I could sell it once I felt the need for something sturdier?

Will it handle tow path kind of stuff?
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

also the bike has cantilever brakes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thistle wrote:thank you! I also have a carry freedom trailer so maybe it would bo ok. Good enough to get back in to it I guess, then I could sell it once I felt the need for something sturdier?

Will it handle tow path kind of stuff?

Most bikes will handle tow paths. It's more a matter of comfort than anything else. If you plan on doing lots of tow path riding, you will probably prefer something with fatter tyres. If it's an occasional thing, the King of Mercia wil be fine.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well i've ridden lightweight / down graded from racing, bikes on towpaths, but then i am a fairly light rider. Why would you want to sell the bike if you upgrade to a sturdier bike, you need n+1 rule, lighter weight bike for lighter weight riding and the sturdier (if you really need it) bike for heavier tours.... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
drossall

Post by drossall »

I'm surprised you have found many who are not fans. Mercians are among the best hand-built bikes. My KoM is set up in full touring rig with front and rear racks. Galaxies are good but Mercians are a class above.
molzor

Post by molzor »

I thought everyone loved a mercian? surely?
ive got one and its an absolute stunner. id say itd do a great job for your intended use (as long as you arent planning on taking the whole house with you on your lejog)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I've had several Mercian frames over the years, all second hand. They did not stir my passions in any way, possibly because they were second hand. I do not think they are better or worse than hundreds of other builders, indeed with custom frames I'd go to a local builder. Galaxy - never had one and never wanted one, but that is because I've not had a stock machine since I was 14 years old.

Back to this particular case - the frame in question is 531ST so is already a very stout frame. If you look at Tony Oliver's book on touring frames he regards it as overkill for all but large frames. However, being a cheap offering I would snap it up.
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

Thank you, I am overweight at the moment due to the meds and not being able to exercise over the last couple of years, so I think a 531ST frame will be a wise choice. I should have lost the excess weight by the time I start touring next year.
Spinners

Re: Bought the bike!

Post by Spinners »

Great news - hope it all works out for you.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Great news.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

What no pictures :( i thought new bike pics were mandatory.
Or tell us where you live and we can look through your letter box :)
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Thistle

Post by Thistle »

I will post pics, prob next weekend. :wink:
drossall

Post by drossall »

We're waiting :D