Lightweight pannier suggestions for Tubus Airey rack

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mnichols

Lightweight pannier suggestions for Tubus Airey rack

Post by mnichols »

I have had a Tubus Airey rack since Xmas time, but have struggled to pair it with some lightweight AND rubust panniers for a month long tour. The challenge is that the top of the rack is very small and most panniers that I have tried don't fit.

The lightweight panniers that I have tried (Arkel, Altura, etc) simply don't seem like they would last

I'm looking for a pair of panniers with robust fittings that weigh less than a kilo for the pair, otherwise I'm better off with my existing rack and panniers

Any suggestions?
thirdcrank

Re: Lightweight pannier suggestions for Tubus Airey rack

Post by thirdcrank »

I have an earlier version of that rack in stainless steel (Luna or Fly :?: ) and I use Ortlieb roll top panniers.

I've no idea what they weigh in £-s-d but subjectively they don't seem heavy. Mine are the smaller ones which can be used front or rear. They are as near as bombproof as you might hope for in bike luggage. Above all, they are very adjustable - which accounts for a bit of any weight. Being able to fit them on your rack seems to be the main criterion.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

+1 for the Front Rollers which are the bags Tubus designed the rack for. They weigh @ 1200 grams a pair out of the box but you can lose a lump of that by removing the organiser and even some of the unneeded fixtures (pm if you want to know what and how). The older, pre 2015 bags are slightly lighter due to different fixings - I have both, there's about 50 grams in it so not really an issue, the City version are a further 50 grams lighter but not as easy to use with the side buckle closures.
I did make a 500 gram pair of bags that I used on last years tour (search for lightweight pannier) - shower proof but wet penetrated in storm conditions and my biggest gripe was the floppiness due to the thin material. I've gone back to the Ortliebs this year - I may try a revised light bag in the future but seriously I'd rather have dry kit than save 500 grams. :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

Hi Foxyrider

I did read your post about the panniers that you made, but I think that you later posted that they weren't very robust and you had gone back to the ortilebs?

I'm thinking of giving up on the Airey as the pannier choice is so limited and I can get a lighter and more functional combination with a normal rack. I think the ortilebs and airy would put me at about 2 kilos combined, whereas I can get to about 1.2kg with a traditionally shaped lightweight rack and the Avenir double panniers
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've order the Ortileb City Front - I'm going to try them before going back to a more traditional rack
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

I'm puzzled about why you can't put a normal pannier bag on them. The dimensions don't seem that different from a Tubus Fly which works fine with full-size panniers (or at least with Ortlieb and Vaude panniers). The top rail is fairly short once you subtract the bent bit, but there should be plenty of scope to adjust the pannier hooks - again at least with Ortlieb and Vaude.

If you are having issues with heel strike you can get a longer connecting rods.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Can you really get to 1.2kg with standard rack and bags? I doubt that very much, average rack weight (Tubus Logo/Tortec Expedition etc) is @ 750g, I'm pretty sure the Avenir bags weigh more than 500 grams, possibly a kilo more. I've done a lot of weighing and research on this subject and the City bags are (when adapted a little) the lightest production bags on the market that actually work!

Anyhow, off today with my Classics for a few weeks hanging from my Carry and Ergo (why don't they make a Ti front rack?)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tomawheels

Post by tomawheels »

here's a spendier lightweight option:http://www.porcelainrocket.com/product/micro-panniers/
at 800 grams for the pair. I wonder if there are other companies doing similar designs this side of the pond?
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

tomawheels wrote:here's a spendier lightweight option:http://www.porcelainrocket.com/product/micro-panniers/
at 800 grams for the pair. I wonder if there are other companies doing similar designs this side of the pond?

I can't get this link to work
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Not sure about OP's weight calculations but that rack would work fine with the attachment of a nice beechwood topboard. Or lightweight plastic.

The $250 porcelain rocket panniers have same volume and weight as one backroller or a pair of old-skool Karrimor front panniers.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

The ortileb front panniers have arrived and first impressions are good. Whilst they are a little heavier than I wanted the quality is top notch - definitely better than anything I have tried previously and probably worth the weight penalty. They fit perfectly on the Airy

They are a little small, which may be a good thing as it will encourage me to take less

If I can't get the bare in then minimum has anyone paired this with something on top of the rack? I don't think a rack pack would fit, but maybe a bungee attached dry bag or similar? Otherwise I could take a saddle bag and put tubes and tools in there

Thanks for the recommendations - very pleased with the city rollers :D
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

foxyrider wrote:Can you really get to 1.2kg with standard rack and bags?

The Tortec rack is 440 Grams

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... lsrc=aw.ds

and whilst I can't find and online weight guides for the avenir's my kitchen scales put them at 700g

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... tAodfkAJ1A

they won't be to everyone's taste but I have used them on several tours and they are practical. with a bit of shopping around you can pick them up for under £20 using discount codes, so I don't mind throwing them away after every few tours

They don't fit on the tubus airy though
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

Although I'm too late for this post - you won't be disappointed with the Ortlieb front rollers - I have a Tubus Airey on my mountain bike (not permanently) and was surprised at the narrow top, but the Front rollers I own anyway fitted a treat!
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

mnichols wrote:The Tortec rack is 440 Grams
Those panniers do look light, but the tortec 440g claim is infamous - it's actually 530g or 570g (I forget which), with the fittings.