Calais Battlefield Tour

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heathbrook

Calais Battlefield Tour

Post by Heathbrook »

We are looking to organise a cycling tour and wonder what your thoughts are on this itinerary
Calais to Cambrai, then pick up the Paris Roubaix route
Roubaix to Waterloo
Waterloo to Ypres
Ypres to Dunkirk, then back to Calais
We did think about adding a loop from Waterloo to Arnhem, but I don't think will have enough time
Would we be far from the famous Belgian climbs?
We would be staying in hotels or Logis de France
Would that be doable in five days?
Thanks!
Nigelrojo

Re: Calais Battlefield Tour

Post by Nigelrojo »

It looks just about do-able in 5 days, although to cut the distance down a bit I would probably do it like this:
D1 Eurostar to Lille, then Lille - Cambrai
D2 Cambrai - Mons/Le Cateau
D3 Mons - Waterloo
D4 Waterloo - Ypres
D5 tour Ypres then Ypres - Lille, Eurostar back that night
Of course this misses out Dunkirk but takes in Mons. Arnhem is a bridge too far unless you are travelling very light & fast...
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Very good, Nigelrojo, very good!
On the first leg, Cambrai to Mons, could we fit a bit of pave in. Just fancy a little taste of it
Are any of the famous climbs in that part of Flanders?
We might be able to get a driver to back us up, but if not the train option looks good
iainb

Post by iainb »

Hi there

If you're going from Ypres to Dunkirk a slight detour to the south will take you throug hthe "Monts des Flandres" on the Belgian / French border - Kemmelberg, Mont Noir, Mont des Cats and through to Mont Cassel. I've been a couple of times, rode around the Ypres salient, where there's an excellent cycle path network and really enjoyed it, hope to go again next month. Some pave on the top section of Kemmelberg ( about 20% gradient) and up to Cassel from where you get a fantastic view on a clear day.
Not much more than 20 miles from Cassel to Dunkirk
Regards

Iain
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Thanks Iain, sounds just what we are looking for
I will do a bit of research
Thanks again
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Personally I think there is a lot to see around Ypres and virtually nothing at all at Waterloo. I would hate to think that I will cycle all that way east to see a poor museum and a bit a dirt with a lion perched on top.
Nigelrojo

Post by Nigelrojo »

I haven't been to Waterloo but I can second that about Ypres. In one day cycling around the salient I saw pretty much every main site other than those to the west of Ypres (like Poperinghe). There is a lot to see in quite a small area.
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

My Grandad served in that part of the world in the South Staffordshires. Remember him talking about Fonquevilliers and Gommecourt. I will try to find exactly where they are
robgul

Post by robgul »

chocjohn9 wrote:Personally I think there is a lot to see around Ypres and virtually nothing at all at Waterloo. I would hate to think that I will cycle all that way east to see a poor museum and a bit a dirt with a lion perched on top.

Agreed - Waterloo station in London is more interesting! Ypres/Iepr is worthy of a couple of days with the well signed route around the WW1 sites.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
BottomGear

Post by BottomGear »

Reading this thread with interest as I quite fancy taking in a visit to the battlefields. Heathbrook, good luck and hope it comes off, let us know how you get on. :D
1gunsalute

Post by 1gunsalute »

On the way to Cambrai I would go via Vimy. Some very well preserved landscapes from WW1.

Also if you are cycling there from Calais, why not tick off Agincourt? 600th anniversary in October!
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Funnily enough, I visited Agincourt earlier this month! I stayed with the family in Le Touquet, took the bike and had a few shortish rides. To be honest, cycling is the best way to get about in that part of France in early August.
Rode to Agincourt one day, then up to Boulogne via the war cemetary at Etaples, the next. Busy road, but there is a good cycle path
chocjohn9

Post by chocjohn9 »

Bizarrely, after I wrote my last post above, I wondered downstairs and there on the table was a map of Ypres with the war stuff all marked out. Would you like me to write some notes for you? ...and give you the name of the map (!!??) I'm away for a few days now, but can do it on my return. Let me know.
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

This is our provisional itinerary
Not cast in stone, so ideas are very welcome
We do have a minibus to provide back up so we won't be cycling every inch!
Day1 Vimy to Thiepval, taking in Gommecourt. It has also been suggested we take in Mametz. Then on to Cambrai. We think that is about 70 miles.
Day 2 ride the 70k Paris Roubaix sportive route. Depending how we feel, have a rest or an evening low level ride around Ypres. Possibly Passchendale or Poperinge.
Day 3. Ypres to the Monts de Flanders. Possibly Mont des Cats to Hazebrouck, the head towards Channel.
It has been suggested that we stay the last night in De Panne, so any input gratefully received
Then we have to get back as the younger riders are riding from Great Yarmouth to Aberdovey the following week. Good luck lads, I'll have a pint with you in the yacht club!
Heathbrook

Post by Heathbrook »

Well everything is pretty much booked now
Chocjohn9 has very kindly offered to lend me his map, but I think it's just too valuable to borrow
I do need to get some maps. I am thinking of buying Michelin maps 301 and 302. Has anyone used these maps and are the any good for cyclist? Do they actually show any of the Belgian roads?
Ps. The lads aren't cycling from Great Yarmouth to Aberdovey. They are cycling from Swansea to Wolverhampton over two days, then Wolverhampton to Aberdovey on the third day. I am going to cycle the last leg with them and get the train home