Land's End to Stonehenge

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andreafj

Land's End to Stonehenge

Post by andreafj »

Does anyone have a good cycling route from Land's End to Stonehenge?

Thank you in advance :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Land's End to Stonehenge

Post by Mick F »

Dunno what sort of route you want, but if were doing it, I'd follow my recommended LEJOG route as far as Taunton, then peel off through Othery and Somerton and back roads to Warminster. Maybe Street, Shepton Mallet and Frome instead up the A361, and thence to Chittern and Shrewton to Stonehenge.
Done most of those roads over the years. :D

LE to Taunton:
A30 to Penzance and Hayle.
Old A30 through Hayle, Connor Downs, Camborne and Redruth to Blackwater, then a mixture of A3075 and/or the A30 and minor roads to St Newlyn East, then St Columb.
A39 through Wadebridge to Camelford and Davidstow and turn off east onto the A395 (I was there only today)
Peel off through Egloskerry to Launceston (there today too) and then onto the Old A30 for Okehampton.
From there, head out through Copplestone and Crediton to Tiverton.
Via Samford Peverell to the A38 and head north through Wellington to Taunton.
Mick F. Cornwall
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

From Taunton, I would go: Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet, Frome, Warminster, Chitterne, Shrewton, cycle through Shrewton towards Larkhill / Durrington until you come to the junction for the right turn to Stonehenge. (I've done this route numerous times as it's the way home for me from the SW)
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

If you have enough time, a few suggestions to improve bits of MickF's route: (these are all slower but much nicer IMHO :-))
a) from Land's end take the B 3306 coast road as far as 2 miles after Zennor, then Towednack and down to Lelant / Hayle/
a) between Hayle and Blackwater take the coast road B3301 the Mawla - Skinner's Bottom - Blackwater
b) rather than A39 Wadebridge / Camelford, from St Columb go down towards the Camel Trail near Bodmin then follow NCN 3 as far as Hallworthy, then Egloskerry/Launceston. (Camel trail is mostly fine grit, OK for 28mm tyres. If that's no good take the B3266 between Bodmin and Camelford).
Chris F, Cornwall
khain

Post by khain »

The road in to Stonehenge is a busy dual carriageway. Not a great end to a cycle trip.
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

khain wrote:The road in to Stonehenge is a busy dual carriageway. Not a great end to a cycle trip.

That's the A303 - there's no need to go anywhere near that on a bike!

...and with the recent alterations you can no longer access Stonehenge from the A 303.
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

phil parker wrote:
khain wrote:The road in to Stonehenge is a busy dual carriageway. Not a great end to a cycle trip.

That's the A303 - there's no need to go anywhere near that on a bike!

...and with the recent alterations you can no longer access Stonehenge from the A 303.

Tho it has been closed to traffic you can still cycle the old road up from the A303 to Stonehenge. It's grassed over and a bit lumpy, but it's doable.

I agree 100% about riding the A303 tho. I've only ridden it for a few hundred yards to connect up another route, but it's the single worst road I've cycled on in the UK.