Cycling to Skye from Troon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
eoinh

Cycling to Skye from Troon

Post by eoinh »

Hi All,

I am meeting friends for a hiking trip on the isle of Skye and have decided to cycle. I live in dublin so will probably get a ferry from belfast or larne.

I am looking for general advice on the route, whether I should get a train part of the way and if any of the other western islands are with visiting en route.

Thanks in advance.
bogmyrtle

Re: Cycling to Skye from Troon

Post by bogmyrtle »

There aren't any of the western isles not worth visiting so your route will depend on how much time you have and how fit you feel.
Train options are Glasgow, Oban and Fort Wiilam
There are however plenty of no train options. If you get the ferry from Larne to Troon. The ferry to Arran leaves from Ardrossan just up the coast. You have the option of going clockwise the long way round or anti clockwise the short way to Lochranza. Ferry to Claonaig then either cycle to Oban or take the ferry to Port Ellen on Islay then cycle to Port Askaig and take the ferry to Oban. From Oban you have a road option (fairly busy) or take the ferry to Mull or to Barra. From Mull you could get the ferry to Lochaline then cycle up to Mallaig and take the ferry to Armadale. From Barra cycle to Lochmaddy then get the ferry to Uig on Skye.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
irc

Post by irc »

Or there is the Kintyre Express ferry. Gets you to either Campbelltown or Islay.

http://www.kintyreexpress.com/ferry%20service.html#
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

The most straightforward scenic route would be ferry Ardrossan to Arran, ferry Arran to Claonaig, ride up Kintyre to Lochgilphead & Oban, ferry Oban to Mull and Mull (Tobermory) to Ardnamurchan, ride to Mallaig, and ferry to Skye.
It is possible to take a west coastal route from Tarbert to just north of Lochgilphead - there's a reasonable track between Ellary and Kilmory. Mull is worth an explore if you've time.
On Skye, the old road is worth diverting onto from just after Kinloch Lodge to a bit before Broadford, rather than just following the A851 (not that that's busy).

If considering the longer ferry crossings (eg to Islay), bear in mind that there may only be one or two sailings per day, and you can lose quite a lot of time waiting, or that the times may not suit well (eg arrive 8pm, which makes finding a campsite awkward).
The tickets onto and off Mull are available as an "Island hopscotch" package, and it wouldn't surprise me if on & off Arran as the same - check on the Calmac website.
eoinh

Post by eoinh »

Many thanks for the responses.

Based on the advice, I intend to take the ferry to cambletown and head north, taking in mull and iona before heading towards skye.

regards,

Eoin
spearmint wino

Post by spearmint wino »

if I may jump on this thread - what are the A83 + A816 like between Kennacraig and Oban? Are they busy / big trucks / unpleasant or ok?

This option might be the missing link in my bike-powered visit to Arran & Mull...
robing

Post by robing »

irc wrote:Or there is the Kintyre Express ferry. Gets you to either Campbelltown or Islay.

http://www.kintyreexpress.com/ferry%20service.html#

I tried to use this last year but found it pretty unreliable. It's a small service and it's often chartered privately. In the end I gave up as I was running short on time and went to Belfast.
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

@Spearmint wino.....I cycled from Tarbert (off the Portavadie ferry) to Oban at the end of may/june. I didn't particularly like the climb out of Tarbert. A83 is quite a busy road, but not unacceptably so....I would use it again. I camped at Lochgilphead, then in the morning headed for the Crinan canal, to take the towpath as far as Bellanoch for a minor (B8025), but well signposted road to Kilmartin. The A816 is a good deal quieter than the A83, but still has some lorries. A couple of grim climbs between Kilmartin and Oban if you're fully loaded, but we all get there in the end :) .....I passed through here in howling winds and lashing rain......super grim!!!!.....Anyway, to answer your question.....its nice cycling country, and traffic isn't too bad...ENJOY!!!
spearmint wino

Post by spearmint wino »

Thanks sir, just what I needed to know.

Planning to go first week of Sep, see a friend nr Ardrossan then up to Mull via Arran to see another friend and explore a bit.
Then the 9hr train journey back to London...