Raiders Road Dumfrieshire.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Easy Rider

Raiders Road Dumfrieshire.

Post by Easy Rider »

Hi all,

Im planning a flying visit up there next weekend for a 2 day touring trip and plan to ride this route on the way back.

Im doing it on narrow tyres, 25 mm Conti Gatorskins with not a lot of weight. Single pannier and tent.

Ive seen on photos and read up that is not asphalt.

Has anybody rode this, would i get through ok if i took my time.

Thanks in advance for any input.
rualexander

Re: Raiders Road Dumfrieshire.

Post by rualexander »

Should be ok, some bits might be a bit bumpy on 25mm tyres but pick your line to avoid the worst, assuming they haven't had it resurfaced for logging trucks with the large sharp stones they use for that, two years since I've been on it.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Not long ago forestry roads were being surfaced with crushed scallop shells from a local scallop processing plant. To be on the safe side I would make sure you have a good puncture repair kit and a spare tube.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.
khain

Post by khain »

Is that the one that goes along Loch Dee?

If so I cycled it a couple of months ago. It was pretty bumpy but is cycleable. I think they actually have resurfaced some of it and possibly are still in the process of doing so, which might mean having to push for a bit. Some sections are pretty steep too. I wouldn't fancy doing it on 25mm tyres but I reckon it's possible with the odd bit of pushing.
Easy Rider

Post by Easy Rider »

Thanks for the input :>)
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Quite a few photos of the Raider's Road on Geograph http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3993098, which is a useful site for checking out tracks.