VSF Fahrradmanufaktur

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PH

Re: VSF Fahrradmanufaktur

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:Having got one I think they're well designed, well equipped and well put together but amazing - no :?

That's pretty much how I felt about my Thorn Raven, untill I loaded it up and used it for it's designed purpose, in the end though it wasn't worth keeping for the little use it got like that.

What you mean it wasn't much good when you loaded it up??

No, just the opposite. IMO a pretty uninspiring bike unloaded, a real plodder (Though plenty of people like that) Put four heavy panniers on it and it all made much more sense.
I was suggesting that you may change your mind about whether your bike is amazing if you get to use it for what it was designed for.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:Having got one I think they're well designed, well equipped and well put together but amazing - no :?

That's pretty much how I felt about my Thorn Raven, untill I loaded it up and used it for it's designed purpose, in the end though it wasn't worth keeping for the little use it got like that.

What you mean it wasn't much good when you loaded it up??

No, just the opposite. IMO a pretty uninspiring bike unloaded, a real plodder (Though plenty of people like that) Put four heavy panniers on it and it all made much more sense.
I was suggesting that you may change your mind about whether your bike is amazing if you get to use it for what it was designed for.[/quote]

Amazing means astonishing or awe inspiring - do you really think that a bike designed for heavy touring should arouse such feelings when it does the job it was made for . I'd be astonished if it didn't :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
PH

Post by PH »

Well, it could partly be semantics, partly how easily we're amazed and partly how we judge the difference between doing what it was designed for and doing it really well. I'm still amazed by my Rohloff, after 50,000+ miles it runs as well as it ever has, with the most minimal of maintenance. I know that's what it was designed to do, but it doesn't stop be appreciating how well it does it.