Free cycle touring kindle books

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TomBruce

Post by TomBruce »

Part 1 of my two kindle books about bike tours I've completed are free for the next five days on Amazon. Please feel free to download them if you're interested.

Round the world by bike: "Every Inch of the Way" (Part 1- the European (UK) leg)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Every-Inch-Bike-Around-World-ebook/dp/B00CLUGALK/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Touring in the Himalayas: "Biking to the Roof of the World" (Part 1 - Chandigahr to Manali)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biking-Roof-World-PART-adventures-ebook/dp/B012NMLR4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1438156791&sr=1-1&keywords=biking+to+the+roof+of+the+world

Thanks! Lots more about these trips and others on http://www.tombrucecycling.com
Last edited by TomBruce on 29 Jul 2015, 10:23am, edited 1 time in total.
simonineaston

Re: Free cycle touring kindle books

Post by simonineaston »

Safely downloaded - thanks! Second url could do with a tweak. :wink:
Just the job for my impending tour. Look forward to reading them...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
TomBruce

Post by TomBruce »

Thanks, have corrected the URL. Hope you enjoy them
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cheers
bidi

Post by bidi »

Damn! I need to get in to this Kindle malarky.

Anyone able to help out with a concise description of the various models available to help me choose which is right for me?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Link to concise model comparison at bottom of this post...
Can only really tell you why I like mine, which I've had for some years. It may have been superseded by now.
I have the 'paperwhite' which has a very print-like screen, which I find entirely natural and untiring to read - it's just like reading a paperback, in fact. It is gently front-lit in a very different way to a LED-backlit screen you will find on a notebook or a tablet. Enough to read comfortably in a tent, but without the brain-stimulating effect of a backlit screen which can have a -ive effect on my Good Night's Sleep - or at least, nodding off, in my experience.
I opted for the 3G version so I can download books anywhere, but in practice I've never needed to - I have always been happy either to read the books already on board or else, to wait till I'm at home or work, and can join the wifi network. I don't like reading text on glossy, colour screens, especially strongly backlit screens (he says, typing this on his MBP... ;-) ) so I deliberately chose the Kindle Paperwhite for this reason, spin-off plus for a device using an "e-ink" screen is whopping battery life - weeks, in fact :-) Love it.
Wide wide choice of books available, have also learnt how to make my own, so take with me my own touring guides, when I go to northern France, although this highlights one of the few drawbacks of the Kindle, which is it doesn't handle pdf images very well. I have experimented with including town plans or maps of particular places of interest (campsites, mainly) in my home-made e-books without a great deal of success and since I've started using a Satmap Active for mapping, this idea has become redundant anyway.
As a keen book reader and a solo traveller, the Kindle is one of the first things I pack.
Must also tell you about the key factor to this arrangement, that is Calibre - a really good e-book management application (open source, free, although donations welcome, I'm sure!). It makes managing a large-ish library (hundreds of books, both purchased and DRM-free, in my case) fairly hassle-free.
And lastly, buying a book from Amazon is really straightfarward and most of the one's I've wanted have been at attractive prices - along the same sort of lines I'd expect to pay for a book in a charity shop, back in the days when that was how I did most of my book buying!
One last thing I don't think the Kindle - or any other ebook reader for that matter - does very well is allow you to browse a book - you can't just flip through the pages in a fairly casual way, as one would a "coffee-table" book or a glossy magazine. At least, you can do it, but it doesn't have the same feel to it - others may disagree.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Ki ... eration.29
http://calibre-ebook.com
Last edited by simonineaston on 29 Jul 2015, 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
bidi

Post by bidi »

Thanks for that Simon. Looks like a good choice for reading during tours. Better get on Amazon or eBay methinks. :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bidi wrote:Damn! I need to get in to this Kindle malarky.

Anyone able to help out with a concise description of the various models available to help me choose which is right for me?

The basic model is relatively inexpensive. If you like it, you can always upgrade later.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Thanks Tom! I shall enjoy.

Bidi: I saved up for a Kindle Paperwhite after doing all the research and at the 11th hour I changed my mind!

I have gone down the route if an iPad mini with wifi and cellular abilities. I've borrowed a 16gb one but will probably get a 32gb as its a HUGE investment for a pleb like me. It does everything I need and more. Spanner in the works?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

bidi wrote:Damn! I need to get in to this Kindle malarky.

u can just get a Kindle reader( software) for your pc or notebook. dont know if u can get for a tablet, I think for smartphones - free to download, make an account with Amazon and download many of the other free books they have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/fiona/kcp-landing-page?ie=UTF8&ref_=kcp_pc_mkt_lnd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You can get kindle readers for android devices. Mr. V and I share books that I buy for the Kindle that way. He doesn't have a Kindle. He has a tablet; I think it's Samsung.

However, the Kindle is *much* easier to read. It's more like reading a book and easier on the eyes. The tablet fine for a few minutes, or even a half hour, but my eyes tire if I try to read much more than that on a tablet or computer.

Just £54 here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Glare-Fr ... B00KDRUCJY You might do a little better at duty free, if you buy one on your way somewhere.

You don't have to post very many books home from a tour to justify the cost. :wink:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 »

You can get kindle reader for iPad - not a good reason on its own to buy an iPad, but very handy if you already have one. The kindle app is free, though the books of course aren't.
jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 »

Tom, thanks for the free downloads, they will keep me entertained on holiday. I will look out for the full editions in due course.
TomBruce

Post by TomBruce »

No problem, if you enjoy the free versions, please consider purchasing the full versions that are available as kindle or paperback.

Cheers,
Tom
Smith873

Post by Smith873 »

Tom,

Thank you for clarifying that you are offering only the promos versions for free and not the full editions.