Loved Spain, hated France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Loved Spain, hated France

Post by robing »

I'm back from my tour now. I had a great tour of Spain. I went from all the way down the Mediterranean coast from Roses, went inland in through the Sierra Nevada to Ronda and Gibraltar. Then I cycled up through the interior of Spain via Seville and Salamanca and northern Portugal and eventually to San Sebastian. Spain was such a great country to travel around with cheap plentiful accommodation and empty roads, particularly once you are away from the tourist areas.

I was going to cycle back through France, but it was a bit of a culture shock! I'd come in their peak holiday time and everywhere was full even campsites. Hotels were 80 to 100 € plus, in spain they were only 20 to 30€ mostly. French campsites were over €30 with wifi and electricity extra. The roads were worse than Spain and very busy. So I decided to call it a day and come home. I was pretty weary after nearly 6 weeks on the road and was pleased with what I did. It's a shame about France as I probably could have done it in a week and the terrain would have been easy. Maybe next time!

My highlights were Ronda, Seville, Salamanca. I did nearly 2000 miles and 88,000 ft of climbing.
whoof

Re: Loved Spain, hated France

Post by whoof »

I tour for two week in France most years, usually the last two weeks in June. The roads are quite ,the accommodation plentiful and reasonably priced. I wouldn't dream of going there in July and August.
robing

Post by robing »

My trip got postponed because I got food poisoning. Originally I had planned to be in France in late June or early July at the latest. Spain was still really quiet though right up until I got back.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

robing wrote:I was going to cycle back through France, but it was a bit of a culture shock! I'd come in their peak holiday time and everywhere was full even campsites. Hotels were 80 to 100 € plus, in spain they were only 20 to 30€ mostly. French campsites were over €30 with wifi and electricity extra. The roads were worse than Spain and very busy.
I spend about 4 weeks a year in France, usually in June or July but sometimes into August. Like any country you pick your roads. On those I use I can ride for 20 minutes at a time without seeing a moving motor vehicle. On a Sunday, admittedly early, you can ride the big main roads to make up time if necessary and be amazed at how little traffic there is. Campsites, staying on municipal sites the cost is typically 7 to 10 Euros. The big commercial sites are more expensive. It also depends where you are. I guess you might well have been coming up through the Landes south of Bordeaux. This is a holiday area and very expensive. So go back another time - take a bit more time to use the minor roads and the municipal sites.
whoof

Post by whoof »

tatanab wrote:
robing wrote:I was going to cycle back through France, but it was a bit of a culture shock! I'd come in their peak holiday time and everywhere was full even campsites. Hotels were 80 to 100 € plus, in spain they were only 20 to 30€ mostly. French campsites were over €30 with wifi and electricity extra. The roads were worse than Spain and very busy.
I spend about 4 weeks a year in France, usually in June or July but sometimes into August. Like any country you pick your roads. On those I use I can ride for 20 minutes at a time without seeing a moving motor vehicle. On a Sunday, admittedly early, you can ride the big main roads to make up time if necessary and be amazed at how little traffic there is. Campsites, staying on municipal sites the cost is typically 7 to 10 Euros. The big commercial sites are more expensive. It also depends where you are. I guess you might well have been coming up through the Landes south of Bordeaux. This is a holiday area and very expensive. So go back another time - take a bit more time to use the minor roads and the municipal sites.

I would agree about the municipal campsites. The one in Bergerac in very the touristy Dordogne was 7 euros for two people in late June the last time I went.

I rode from Toulouse, along the Pyrenees to the coast and then down to Barcelona a couple of years ago. The price of a campsite pretty much doubled as soon as I crossed into Spain. This could be because I was on the coast rather than any difference between Spain/France.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

tatanab wrote:... On a Sunday, admittedly early, you can ride the big main roads to make up time if necessary and be amazed at how little traffic there is. ....

Used to be law (maybe still is) that lorries (can't remember the size constraints) are severly restricted on when they can use the roads over a weekend. These restrictions become even stricter for July and August (i.e. banned from roads 7:00 to 19:00 Sat and Sat 22:00 to Sun 22:00). There are a few exceptions e.g. animal feed lorries. Can't remember the normal non-July/aug hours, but still pretty restricted.

At least it used to be like that, maybe changed now.

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

Somewhere deep in my old posts is something I posted along the lines of "Go either to France or Spain but not to both". The Pyrenees are there for a reason. Going through both creates a holiday of two halves. You have two languages, two cultures, two landscapes. I think you were right to call it a day and do France another time - just as good but so very different.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher