My first touring 'fail'

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
axel_knutt

Re: My first touring 'fail'

Post by axel_knutt »

It could just be some innocuous palpitations or it could be atrial fibrillation, but you won't find out which unless it happens whilst you're connected to an ECG, meanwhile they will tell you there's nothing wrong if they haven't seen it for themselves. If you're getting it often enough, they can give you a portable ECG (Holter monitor) to record your heart continuously for 24 hours or even 7 days, but if they're not taking you seriously in the first place you won't get one of those. I was having runs of palpitations when I got into bed for donkeys years before it developed into AF. I've had a Holter monitor three times since I was diagnosed, but the only times they've seen it is when I call 999 and get taken in to A&E by ambulance. I'd previously had two Bruce tests on the treadmill as well, but they didn't find anything either.

Eating big meals and/or getting into bed are common triggers for AF.

If it happens again and it doesn't stop within 10-15 minutes, call an ambulance, because that's your best chance of finding out what's going on and because you risk a stroke if you ignore AF.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Gearoidmuar

Another thing as I think about it..

Post by Gearoidmuar »

IN 1990 on one of my earliest tours, one night in France, myself and three companions were awake all night in this hotel having had dinner and coffee there. We had pounding pulses all night, not irregular that I remember. In the morning we were fine and it did not recur. We felt sure it had to the coffee. God knows what was in it.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I am pleased that you have found yourself to be human Nareloc. If you had completed those mileages I would have found myself even more wanting than I do now! I now do more modest mileages than I want to cos I have to! On my trips I am often meeting others whose health,fitness,experience is much better than my own...and is then very annoying!!
Example: 2 Kiwis in eastern Europe. Both riding under £150 Decathlon bikes,one with builders boots on one day,the next flip-flops: 60mpd. Of course they always had tailwinds whereas we had headwinds. Both were some 10 years older than myself(or they looked it) They could bivvy on tennis courts and get up next morning with not an ache in the world. What was very wearing was that as they cycled and as their back spokes broke...a bike shop was always within their reach,even a blacksmith! I know cherries ripened and branches bent down to give them offerings as they cycled along. Entering villages by chance they would be invited to be wedding guests wherein oxen would be slayed in their honour. I am 'pleased' to hear of someone who could be myself.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Perhaps more should be made of easy days touring. Too often we read of the hard(ship) cyclists. Then the people who want a road bike so they can do their 100 mpd at speed. Super light, etc, etc.

I tour a lot as in months every year, but sometimes feel a bit embarrassed about my average speed of 15 kph and some of my daily distances of 60 - 80 kpd.

When needs must, I can crack a 140 kpd, as I had to do for a few days in Cambodia last year due to lack of accommodation, but its not fun and not what I would want to consider the norm.

Let's hear it for the easy paced, relaxed tours.

PS sometimes hiatus hernias can give a feeling a bit like heart palpitations. I know, I've been there.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Hello everybody. I'm 37 and a relaxed tourer. Its been 1 year and 2 months since I've been over 60mpd... Etc. (lets start the help group here ;) )