My first touring 'fail'

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nareloc

My first touring 'fail'

Post by Nareloc »

After much planning (and looking forward to) I flew off with my bike to Carcassonne to begin a 1000 mile solo route north to Zeebruge for the ferry home. First couple of days went great - good weather riding the Canal du Midi (where it was rideable) and through Toulouse up to Moissac. Two idyllic days riding about 60 miles per day with good campsites. Third day was from Moissac to Bergerac, just over 90 miles. It turned into a difficult day, hot, heavy rain showers, and a strong headwind most of the way. Oh, and lots of hills. Not big hills but regular slogs, one after the other. I reached Bergerac about 5pm feeling tired but OK. As planned, every third night would be in a hotel so found a nice hotel near the centre of Bergerac (Hotel Europe), and after a refreshing shower headed off into town for some food. After a good three course meal, with a glass or two of wine, I was soon back in the hotel and in bed by 11-30pm. Then the palpitations started! Bump, bump. bump. miss a beat, bump, bump, miss a beat, bump, bump, etc. etc. This went on most of the night, keeping me awake wondering what to do the following morning (if I lasted that long!). Talking to the hotel manager over breakfast, I mentioned my problem and he advised me to see a doctor (there just happened to be one a few doors away who spoke English). The doc listened to my chest, took my blood pressure, found nothing but advised me to have a thorough check before carrying on. After an hour or two of soul searching I decided to play it safe and get back home by the next flight. So, after numerous tests and a scan, nothing has been found wrong with my ticker and I have not had any further problems since that night (now two months ago). According to my doctor exhaustion, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, rich meal - these could have all contributed to what happened. Maybe I will never know but I think I made the right decision to cut the tour short on this occasion. France will still be there next year. I've been touring since I was in my twenties, I'm 65 now and hope to have many more cycling tours ahead of me.
ipswichcycler

Re: My first touring 'fail'

Post by ipswichcycler »

That's not a fail it just didn't quite go to plan. :) life would be boring if it always did...
whizzzz

Post by whizzzz »

Such a shame to come home early, but I think you did the right thing and you did come home as opposed to not!

Some things if they dont feel right need to be checked over.

And now you have had a bit of a kit shakedown so next time you will drink more, eat better and ride the whole route!

Good luck :-)
dandru

Post by dandru »

I was given good cycling advice once, ride your own ride. Everyone is different and you'll be back, but you started which is half the battle.
stephenjubb

Post by stephenjubb »

quite wise your approach.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Hi Nareloc! My heart's being doing that sort of thing since the late '80s and I've got used to just ignoring it... I'm no cardiologist although I did work as a medical physiology technician years ago, so don't take any of my comments as gospel. Lots of people including super-fit athletes have hearts that don't beat 100% consistently. You only have to spend a couple of hours browsing the internet to find that minor arrhythmia are very common indeed and are often unexplained - factors like alcohol, hunger, tiredness and stress have the most effect on me and my heart. I have learnt to avoid key combinations. Red wine in anything more than the smallest quantities is almost guaranteed to trigger some heart block, unless its the posh stuff without any sulphates (see label!) Another thing I do now is hydrate, which I have learnt to do so it's second nature - it's very seldom that I get thru' a day without drinking at least 2 litres of plain water - more if it's hot. Northern France is perfect 'cos there's so many churches and their accompanying grave yards, each one of which has a tap of cold water for watering the flowers!
I have also leant - and it wasn't easy! - not to panic and so far I haven't died yet. :wink: This was after turning up at a&e a couple of times with the old ticker doing very similar things to what you describe, and finding the medical staff reassuringly underwhelmed!
A few years ago, I spent some time reading forum posts from other people with similar and far worse symptoms and finally concluded I had very minor symptoms compared with some and privately vowed to stop worrying about them, although it's a lot easier to say it than do it!
I am off to France for a 2 week tour in a couple of weeks time. :-)
Loads of research suggests that cycling is good cardiac exercise when done in moderation - keep it up!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Atrial fibrillation affects endurance cyclists more than the ordinary man. You had some kind of arrythmia, but it could be several different ones. I would say from your description of the day, that you grossly overdid it. 90 miles on a hilly route into the wind for a 65y old (I'm 65 myself) is just too much. Because you can do it, is not sufficient reason to do it. Flogging yourself excessively is not good for you, in respect of the risk of getting atrial fibrillation. It sounds like you got ectopic beats which are common enough. I occasionally get them myself when I'm at top fitness and when I get them, at my age, it's a sign to me that my heart is getting irritated and I ease up.
More is not necessarily better.

P.S. I'm a retired doctor and have had the time to read this stuff in detail.
When I was young (I'm touring since I was 38) I used to do 70m av per day touring. I've cut that back and now average 50 ish and in hilly terrain less. I still enjoy it just as much.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Not a fail, just more experience. 8)

I think rule zero (which is hard to observe) is to be flexible according to the conditions: road better or worse than expected, weather, fatigue etc etc. Probably the 90 miler was a bit on the big side. But nothing ventured...however you absolutely did the right thing to decide to stop.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Happened to my friend whilst walking. We'd done 8 miles, stopped for a half and food. He had the drink, got half way through eating, then just passed out. The doctor couldnt find anything wrong and just put it down to strenuous exercise followed by alcohol and too much food too quickly.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I am surprised you want to do those sort of mileages, it is a holiday & the best bit is to able to stop and just chill and take in the place rather than it just zoom by.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't think it's terribly uncommon, even if it is extremely disconcerting!

I had an episode like that some years ago. After tests, etc., they put down to a combination of decongenstant, coffee, and stress. I get the occasional palpitation from time to time, but have been assured that it's perfectly normal. I am probably just more aware of them for having had the episode that I did.

If you experience more symptoms, do discuss it with your GP. I'm sure you did the right thing cutting short your trip and getting it checked. Take it a bit easier next time! :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My Mrs has had a couple of periods of palpitations over the last few years. She has had every test known to man with no clue as to why it happened and was given a totally clear bill of health. It was quite worrying.
You can get carried away touring alone, I have done it myself. Whilst I would hesitate to suggest 90 miles in those conditions is too far at your age, personally I like to bumble along and do around 50 mpd which allows you to enjoy seeing things, meeting people and chilling.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

Thanks for all the tips. I do 80-100 milers fairly regularly - but not usually on a fully (25+kg) loaded touring bike, more on a 7kg racer so there is a big difference there. Usually on tour, my mileage is more around the 60 mark but the particular day in question was really a 'link' day, getting from one area to another. I find 60 miles an ideal distance giving time to enjoy the places I am passing through, plenty of stops, and a good hour or so for lunch. Thinking now of my next little venture :P
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I've had similar on long days, with heat and climbing thrown into the pot and you've got over a decade on me! It's basically your body telling you to take things a bit easier. Heat exhaustion, dehydration, physical effort all go into the pot so try to avoid them - in league with each other at least!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
hondated

Post by hondated »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Atrial fibrillation affects endurance cyclists more than the ordinary man. You had some kind of arrythmia, but it could be several different ones. I would say from your description of the day, that you grossly overdid it. 90 miles on a hilly route into the wind for a 65y old (I'm 65 myself) is just too much. Because you can do it, is not sufficient reason to do it. Flogging yourself excessively is not good for you, in respect of the risk of getting atrial fibrillation. It sounds like you got ectopic beats which are common enough. I occasionally get them myself when I'm at top fitness and when I get them, at my age, it's a sign to me that my heart is getting irritated and I ease up.
More is not necessarily better.

P.S. I'm a retired doctor and have had the time to read this stuff in detail.
When I was young (I'm touring since I was 38) I used to do 70m av per day touring. I've cut that back and now average 50 ish and in hilly terrain less. I still enjoy it just as much.

Nareloc well done and its a case of being sensible rather than failing in my eyes.

Gearoidmuar I think your right us at the age of 65 or 64 in my case do have to moderate our efforts when out on our bikes but I think the problems at our age and perhaps older is that mentally we are still in our 20's.