Where to stay with bikes in Rutland?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
GrumpyCyclist

Where to stay with bikes in Rutland?

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Hi all,

No idea quite where this fitted so I'll try here. No doubt it can be moved if needed. I'm looking at - next year now - loading the bikes up on the car rack and going off for a week, stopping in various places and doing little local tourist type rides. One of the first places I like the look of trying is Rutland Water. I think it's about 25mi round and if you're spending time taking in the sights and taking photos that should fill a full day so if possible I'd rather have somewhere to stay overnight. Are there such beasts as B&B's around there (or anyway else really come to that) that might have provisions for locking up bikes overnight? Don't fancy leaving them on the unsecured car carrier all night if at all possible.

I've looked on the Independent Hostels site but that brought up no results within 15mi of Whitwell so I'm guessing there's none of those local.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
simonhill

Re: Where to stay with bikes in Rutland?

Post by simonhill »

There are loads of places to stay around Oakham and Rutland Water. Bikes are a big thing in the area so I'm sure you wont have a problem.

I normally camp at the Old Rectory in Belton in Rutland. They do b&b and there are stables where you could store your bike. Not overly cheap in that area.

The tourist office no doubt has lists.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

simonhill wrote:There are loads of places to stay around Oakham and Rutland Water. Bikes are a big thing in the area so I'm sure you wont have a problem.

I normally camp at the Old Rectory in Belton in Rutland. They do b&b and there are stables where you could store your bike. Not overly cheap in that area.

The tourist office no doubt has lists.

Yeah, I was starting to think that might be the best way. I'll give them a bell early next year and see what they say. As for things not being cheap in that area, I'm starting to realise :? Been many many years since I camped but might consider it, although I guess bike security comes back into the frame again. Bit of time to think on it yet though, it just seems like a good place to go as a gentle breaking in of going away with the bikes.

Thanks for the reply simon.
Weight 8th July 2015 111.9Kg : Weight now 93.8Kg. Mostly due to cycling. Wish I'd started much sooner :( #LoveTheBike
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

If you go to `Discover Rutland` website , there is a list but they seem a bit expensive. There a few pubs that do B&B, its worth looking at Oakham ,Uppingham and Stamford.
If you want to camp there is a site at Wing Hall south of Rutland Water. As it is a popular area for cycling storage shouldn`t be a problem. Car parking at the car parks is expensive but there are a few places in the villages to park.
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

Thanks for that. I stumbled across the discover Rutland site earlier today. Baffles me why all these places insist on making accessing them for anyone coming any distance so expensive.

Having said that, I've paid London prices before now so everything's relative :)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

If you don't want to pay a fortune what about South Witham Travelodge on the A1. https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/129 ... tham-hotel It's under 10 miles from the Whitwell car park. Every travelodge I've stayed in let you keep bikes in your room. Less than a mile from South WItham village which has a couple of pubs for evening meals. One of them, the Blue Cow, brews it's own beer on site. If you'd like something a bit better than basic pub food the Jackson Stops "gastro pub" at Stretton about 2 miles away is well thought of by the pretentious though personally I'd recommend the Tollemache Arms at Buckminster 6 miles away - high quality food, decent beer, good service , pleasant surroundings and no fancy prices....http://www.tollemache-arms.co.uk/

For breakfast in the morning the diner at Colsterworth(take the A151 towards Bourne from the A1 it's about 1/4 mile on the left just after the little roundabout) serves the locally famous Beltbuster breakfast for about a fiver.

If you fancied spending a couple of days in the area this wouldn't be a bad day ride. On the route is Woolsthorpe Manor the home of SIr Isaac Newton which is worth a visit as is the much more grandiose Belvoir Castle. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9576126
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
GrumpyCyclist

Post by GrumpyCyclist »

pete75 wrote:If you don't want to pay a fortune what about South Witham Travelodge on the A1. https://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/129 ... tham-hotel It's under 10 miles from the Whitwell car park. Every travelodge I've stayed in let you keep bikes in your room. Less than a mile from South WItham village which has a couple of pubs for evening meals. One of them, the Blue Cow, brews it's own beer on site. If you'd like something a bit better than basic pub food the Jackson Stops "gastro pub" at Stretton about 2 miles away is well thought of by the pretentious though personally I'd recommend the Tollemache Arms at Buckminster 6 miles away - high quality food, decent beer, good service , pleasant surroundings and no fancy prices....http://www.tollemache-arms.co.uk/

For breakfast in the morning the diner at Colsterworth(take the A151 towards Bourne from the A1 it's about 1/4 mile on the left just after the little roundabout) serves the locally famous Beltbuster breakfast for about a fiver.

If you fancied spending a couple of days in the area this wouldn't be a bad day ride. On the route is Woolsthorpe Manor the home of SIr Isaac Newton which is worth a visit as is the much more grandiose Belvoir Castle. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9576126

Trust me, despite being a heavier bloke, gastro ain't my thing either. Give me good honest pub grub any day. Coming up with some ideas now of places to go. I don't think we'll ever get to the proper touring on bikes (time, fitness and lack of experience being the main factors) but going off to different parts of the UK with the bikes on the car, parking up and getting out for the whole day might be a good alternative. If I can convince 'er indoors to go along with the idea, I'm liking the idea of pitching up in a tent at a lot of these places. Limits the opportunities to maybe June-September weatherise, but I'm finding myself weirdly drawn to the idea.
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

There is a campsite opposite Rutland sailing club at Edith Weston, cheap but no facilities.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Rutland's lovely... I grew up there and keep meaning to go back with my bike. A few places that spring to mind from near where I used to live (Bisbrooke):

* I think you can camp at Bisbrooke Hall (actually in Glaston)
* The Old Pheasant at Glaston is a pub with cheap rooms
* There's a Travelodge at Morcott (now apparently called Redwings Lodge)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides