First 5 day Tour Ideas

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vmlopes

First 5 day Tour Ideas

Post by Vmlopes »

So, I am planning on a 5 day tour......will be my first ever so any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I can comfortably do 50-60 miles no problem, I live in Reading so either train assist to the start or on the return leg is possible. Will be over nighting in hostels or B&B's
whoof

Re: First 5 day Tour Ideas

Post by whoof »

Get the train to Penzance and ride back to Reading about 260 miles. Use the LEJOG route to Bristol and then the Sustran 4 route up the Kennett and Avon Canal to Reading.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

You can get to lots of places within 250 miles of Reading. Pick some place you've always wanted to go, take the train there & ride back :D

The suggestion to go to Penzance is good. I might also consider / research a couple of other things....
1) Take the train to Great Yarmouth, ride around the Norfolk coast, then ride back to Reading from wherever suits you (King's Lynn?)

2) Wales, with a couple of different possibilities. If train is okay on both ends of the journey, do Lon Las Cymru (I haven't done it, but would like to). If you can/will only train one way, I might ride the Welsh / English border; either take the train to Chester, and ride south, then home, or ride west, then north along the border and take the train home.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Get the train to Penzance and ride back to Reading

From reading LEJOG accounts, it seems the hills in Devon are the main slog on the entire route. Perhaps something more moderate.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Over to the Cotswolds, Cotswolds down to Dorset, along to Lymington, over to the island on the ferry, ride to Wooton Creek, ferry back to Pompey, ride home. I live near Reading and did this route a couple of years ago. Trains can be hassle.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vmlopes

Post by Vmlopes »

whoof wrote:Get the train to Penzance and ride back to Reading about 260 miles. Use the LEJOG route to Bristol and then the Sustran 4 route up the Kennett and Avon Canal to Reading.

Like the sound of this one :D
whoof

Post by whoof »

maxglide wrote:
Get the train to Penzance and ride back to Reading

From reading LEJOG accounts, it seems the hills in Devon are the main slog on the entire route. Perhaps something more moderate.

Having lived in Devon for 10 years it's not that bad and there are plenty of options. Looking at the 'fast' route it goes straight across Dartmoor which is very nice but certainly lumpy. If you ride from Launceston to Exeter on the OLD A30 it a nice rolling road with no slogs, passing through villages and all the traffic on the A30 dual carriage way. You can even have the best of both and ride to Whiddon Down and then have a great decent across Dartmoor to Moretonhampstead, Bovey Tracey, Chudleigh Knighton and then up the Teign Valley (B3193) to Exeter with only one notable hill over Long Down.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

5 days! Beware spending too much time on the train. You could easily waste 2 half days or 1 whole one which is a lot out of 5.

Kennet and Avon is great, towpath and road. Then loop back. Get a map and work out a route.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

Vmlopes wrote:
whoof wrote:Get the train to Penzance and ride back to Reading about 260 miles. Use the LEJOG route to Bristol and then the Sustran 4 route up the Kennett and Avon Canal to Reading.

Like the sound of this one :D

I did LeJog in 2012. The first 4 days were hell and would be enough to put me off cycling for life, never mind touring. Each to their own..... :D
Vmlopes

Post by Vmlopes »

al_yrpal wrote:Over to the Cotswolds, Cotswolds down to Dorset, along to Lymington, over to the island on the ferry, ride to Wooton Creek, ferry back to Pompey, ride home. I live near Reading and did this route a couple of years ago. Trains can be hassle.

Al

Seeing as the consensus is not to head down to Cornwall, do you have any more info' on this?