Lon Las Cymru Advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
podgeskeeper

Lon Las Cymru Advice

Post by podgeskeeper »

Hello All,

I'm looking for a little advice from anyone with experience of the Lon Las Cymru route. My current thinking is to undertake the route from Chepstow to Holyhead as I'll be on a flat bar'd road bike. I understand this is a bit more road bike friendly? Is the route doable on 700x25 marathons? I'd like to think I can complete it in 2-2 1/2 days but just how tough is it? I've done the c2c fairly easily in 3 on a mountain bike and cycle regularly enough to mean 80-100miles out in the Staffordshire countryside in a day isn't unthinkable. What gearing have people used? I currently have 12-26 and 30/42/52 which I don't think will be good enough to tackle the climbs with panniers.

The plan for 2 and half days would be something like Chepstow to Llanidoes, Llanidoes to Criccieth and Criccieth to Holyhead

Is it better to go south to north or north to south?

Thanks in advance,

James
whoof

Re: Lon Las Cymru Advice

Post by whoof »

I rode it last year (Bristol to Holyhead) on a road bike with 25mm Durano plus tyres, rear rack and single pannier. There are different 'routes' with the route and I avoided any off road rough stuff. Gearing was 26/39/52 12-27 which I found fine but this is very subjective due to rider weight fitness etc. I also took 5 days.

There is more here
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19714