yet another touring bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
22camels

yet another touring bike

Post by 22camels »

http://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_marrakesh

might raise a few eyebrows in the 26inch vs 700c debate as they appear to only offer 700 (in all frame sizes) but yet emphasise the bike's global pretensions. Also interesting the separate drop bar and flat bar versions.
mercalia

Re: yet another touring bike

Post by mercalia »

22camels wrote:http://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_marrakesh

might raise a few eyebrows in the 26inch vs 700c debate as they appear to only offer 700 (in all frame sizes) but yet emphasise the bike's global pretensions. Also interesting the separate drop bar and flat bar versions.

and no mudguards, sorry fenders
Arthur_Scrimshaw

Post by Arthur_Scrimshaw »

I like the look of it but why, when they've made the decision to fit disc brakes, do they fit something cruddy like bb7's? With bar end shifters surely hydraulics are an option (as per trek 920) without recourse to expensive hydraulic brifters?
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Wonder if this is Salsa'a attempt to chase the Surly DT? My daughter likes the blue and green though!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Interesting that it's actually 9 speed.
Sweep
beardy

Post by beardy »

why, when they've made the decision to fit disc brakes, do they fit something cruddy like bb7's?

Because a lot of people like them, offering simplicity, reliability and braking ability that is considered good in the broad spectrum of braking that is available.
hamster

Post by hamster »

mercalia wrote: and no mudguards, sorry fenders

But it has the lugs for them, and specifically the tyre clearance is mentioned. Loads of US tourers don't use guards. Bearing in mind the climate it's understandable.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

beardy wrote:
why, when they've made the decision to fit disc brakes, do they fit something cruddy like bb7's?

Because a lot of people like them, offering simplicity, reliability and braking ability that is considered good in the broad spectrum of braking that is available.

+1 I'm delighted with mine (on 2 bikes) And for a numpty like me I can manage servicing them...b
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Wonder if its a stiffer frame than the Vaya? The forks look like they have measles…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Seat tube angle up to 75 deg, in-line seatpost and B17.......I bet R2 won't be swapping his Vaya........
Arthur_Scrimshaw

Post by Arthur_Scrimshaw »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
beardy wrote:

+1 I'm delighted with mine (on 2 bikes) And for a numpty like me I can manage servicing them...b

But ime that's the beauty of hydraulics, you don't need to service them just bung in new pads from time to time?
irc

Post by irc »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Wonder if this is Salsa'a attempt to chase the Surly DT? My daughter likes the blue and green though!

Both brands are owned by the same company. I guess it's just populating another perceived niche in the market. For a world tour bike the rack looks a bit light. 15kg max load.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

irc wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Wonder if this is Salsa'a attempt to chase the Surly DT? My daughter likes the blue and green though!

Both brands are owned by the same company. I guess it's just populating another perceived niche in the market. For a world tour bike the rack looks a bit light. 15kg max load.

Thank irc. Fascinating. There seems something ok with dominating the World with bikes [emoji48]
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Was looking at this a couple of days ago and almost posted about it.

Such an ugly bike.

And being a lover of my 2nd Vaya, that's a real shame. And then they go and make another big nasty mistake.

Alternators. :evil: Oh gawd, they are the no 1 thing that I don't love about my bike. I really really dislike them. Why? What is the point? How more ridiculous an idea could a designer have? And that is why it is using that Wanderlust rack. Because fitting a rack is a pain in the bum, and uses the same bolt that is also the alternator pivot bolt, and has to use a lump of spacer both sides to get past the 'shroud' affair covering the bolt. Not big, not clever. (I got over that by getting proper mounts brazed on top :D ).

I really dislike the upside down looking headtube, which I am guessing is compensating for the less sloping toptube. Is this a concession to folk who don't like those? And gusset that makes it look like an ally bike, ewww. :? Or is it just an odd shaped downtube? Can't tell, can't look too closely, it makes me feel queasy.

Actually, is that an oversized headtube? Looks odd too.

Interesting the frames are different for the different bar types. Have they been reading threads by Horizon? I am sure he's referred well about these lately.

Notice they've got the new Cowchipper. Another to contemplate in the handlebar thread going on, but of course, only in 31.8mm, boo.

All in all. I also will not be moving from Vaya to Marrakesh. No way Jose.
irc

Post by irc »

mrjemm wrote:Alternators. :evil: Oh gawd, they are the no 1 thing that I don't love about my bike. I really really dislike them..

Had to look them up. Ugly aren't they! Why not just decide this is a geared bike and use normal dropouts. Or design it as a hub geared bike. For someone who is going to run gears it is just added weight and complexity. And ugly.

http://salsacycles.com/culture/reasons_ ... or_dropout