Touring - worst fear?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mjr

Re: Touring - worst fear?

Post by mjr »

Melons?
(HT: @Cunobelin)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

mjr wrote:Melons?
(HT: @Cunobelin)

AAAAAAGHHHHH!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Reading of punctures has reminded me of the tyres purchased from York Rally one year, a couple of weeks ahead of a tour in Scotland, it was only a 2 week tour and the tyres did not last the 2 weeks, we were being fairly inventive in moving tyres from front to back and between bikes to have the least amount of weight on them....... repairing a puncture on dreech day in Scotland with midges a-plenty was nearly as bad as visiting Lourdes......

We managed to get into Inverness and find a Halfords before it shut ......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
robing

Post by robing »

Another one: You meet another cycle tourist who then says they are following the same route as you and then wants to tag along for the next week.
horizon

Post by horizon »

robing wrote:Another one: You meet another cycle tourist who then says they are following the same route as you and then wants to tag along for the next week.

:D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

1)

robing wrote:Another one: You meet another cycle tourist who then says they are following the same route as you and then wants to tag along for the next week.

2)

Not being fast enough to get away from them
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

I woke up in the woods in france about 15kms from the nearest town with the left side of my face swollen and my eye swollen shut,i looked like the elephant man :D ,turns out a lovely abcess in my gum had decided to make its presence know(always try and fix your teeth before you go folks!!).So I cycled to the nearest town ,went to the tourist info and said 'can you help me find a dentist'(well kind of slurred it anyway),turns out finding an emergency dentist in a small French town is not so easy.Luckily they managed to find an appointment in the next town(20kms away.)
And to cap it all off the powder stuff I had to take to draw the posion out also gave me the squirts :D .Kind of glad it happened in a strange way,adversity makes you able to deal with things in a calmer way next time I think,well smallish things like this anyway,hopefully don't have to deal with anything really serious on tour(touch wood.)
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The unknown.
My last attempt was an overnighter near Hebden Bridge. Only 30 or so miles from home but having taken a wrong turn which had me climb a hill so steep that it wore me out and 5 ish miles in the opposite direction, a feeling of overwhelming loneliness took over and I couldn't wait to get home.
I do sometimes wonder if I have the brass knobs to accomplish this touring thing.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
martin113

Post by martin113 »

Being prevented by age/ bad health/ bad back.
Easy Rider

Post by Easy Rider »

Being hit from behind or the side on a busy road.

Owt else i could cope with. 8)
pete75

Post by pete75 »

maxglide wrote:
hounds.

I thought it was just me. Believe it or not, dogs are one of the biggest considerations, giving me qualms regarding a possible E to W trip across Turkey.

Well given this pleasant looking beast, the Kangal dog, is common in rural Turkey it's very wise to have some qualms. They can run at 30 mph and have much stamina.

Image Image
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

Not knowing whether or not I turned the cooker off before I left home.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.