CTC Bike Bag on Ryanair

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simonhill

Re: CTC Bike Bag on Ryanair

Post by simonhill »

I agree that Sussex boy's story is frightening, but it should be taken in (%) context.

It is one of a very few horror stories, contrasted by tens (hundreds) of posts of no problems. I agree that if you are the one affected it is 'terminal' but it is not typical.

Last year alone I flew 9 times, often involving multiple transfers with no problems.

You could be caught by an ash cloud and loose your trip. Likewise a ferry blockade or heavy snow. Even a problem with the transport taking you to the airport can ruin a trip.

Looking at train performance, it seems that airlines win hands down.

The idea of using car or van is very appealing if the trip is not too far and I have done it many times. It gives flexibility, often cheaper and your fate is in your hands, if you discount the fact that you are more likely to have an accident than in a plane.
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

Just had a reply from Easyjet re CTC bike bags and their refusal to take our bikes in CTC bags on our return leg of our tour.

Emmmmmmm, receipt.

Hi ,

Thank you for your patience. We have clarified the issue with the airport {Nice, France} and I can confirm that {CTC} Polythene Bicycle Bags are allowed and you should be able to travel with them during your next flight with us. Remember, however, that the final decision always belongs to the airport crew. We apologise for all the inconvenience caused and, if you wish to be refunded for the boxes, feel free to send us valid receipts.

Regards,
Cathy
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Well done hillspecial, I was sceptical that you would get a reply. I was proved wrong.
hillspecial

Post by hillspecial »

simonhill wrote:Well done hillspecial, I was sceptical that you would get a reply. I was proved wrong.

Me neither Simon with the rather Special surname.

Nice Airport emailed s PDF receipt for the boxes .

Sent it off to EasyJet earlier this week.

No reply as yet. Bet Easyjet thought we would not be able to get hold of a receipt.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Remember, however, that the final decision always belongs to the airport crew.

Which of course puts you right back where you started. Arguing with the check-in mob.
Helen

Post by Helen »

I've been taking my bike on planes since budget airlines started about 20 years ago, using big plastic bags. Last couple of years getting more and more hassle at check in. Such a bad experience returning from Charleroi last year, I haven't dared book a trip this year.

Airlines often don't specify EXACTLY what they mean by "bike box or bag". (At Charleroi I was shown photos of different airlines' specs, and Ryanair at Charleroi apparently decided it had to be a ZIPPED bag. Nowhere on any website does it say that. They tried to make me buy a canvas bag at customer services for 90 euros. I said I had no money, my tools had been checked in, and my bike had been accepted like that on the outward journey to Eindhoven airport. My passport was taken and enquiries made to see if this was true. Then they rang the baggage handlers who of course said No Problem.
I had threatened to leave my bike on the floor and walk out!

Does Cycling Uk not have legal advice for us? We are being held to ransom.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

Helen wrote:I've been taking my bike on planes since budget airlines started about 20 years ago, using big plastic bags. Last couple of years getting more and more hassle at check in. Such a bad experience returning from Charleroi last year, I haven't dared book a trip this year.

Airlines often don't specify EXACTLY what they mean by "bike box or bag". (At Charleroi I was shown photos of different airlines' specs, and Ryanair at Charleroi apparently decided it had to be a ZIPPED bag. Nowhere on any website does it say that. They tried to make me buy a canvas bag at customer services for 90 euros. I said I had no money, my tools had been checked in, and my bike had been accepted like that on the outward journey to Eindhoven airport. My passport was taken and enquiries made to see if this was true. Then they rang the baggage handlers who of course said No Problem.
I had threatened to leave my bike on the floor and walk out!

Does Cycling Uk not have legal advice for us? We are being held to ransom.

This is my worst nightmare. It is disgraceful that airlines don't all have clear guidelines. I flew to NZ with Emirates/Quantas earlier this year and they were fine. They tell you it has to be a box and what the dimensions need to be, but Ryanair are so vague that it really is a case of taking pot luck.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

CJ used to recommend taking a printed copy of the airline's instructions and a copy of the CTC bike packing page.

The CUK website has http://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-libra ... /bikes-air which isn't as clear, but at least shows bikes packed in a plastic bag.

There is also the policy page http://www.cyclinguk.org/campaigning/vi ... air-travel

Based on the policy page, it seems possible that they would contact airlines on our behalf, even if they aren't staffed to deal address specific problems.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom