CTC Bike Bag on Ryanair

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mullinsm

CTC Bike Bag on Ryanair

Post by mullinsm »

I'm flying back from Perpignan to Stanstead via Ryanair after my up-coming French end to end and am looking at using the CTC bike bag to pack the bike in for the journey. I'm planning to remove the pedals, turn the bars, drop the saddle and remove the wheels and zip-tie them to the frame for ease of handling.

The question I have is that the Ryanair T&C's clearly state that bikes must be carried in a box or "protective" bag. A polythene bag can hardly be described as protective, so has anyone actually been refused in the past by Ryanair when attempting this? Also, am I likely to get away with leaving the tent on the rack?
tyreon

Re: CTC Bike Bag on Ryanair

Post by tyreon »

Wow! I can offer no succour. I wish you well. Any damage done will be disowned by what you are attempting. I wish you well. I hope it goes well for you. Normally you would be okay,but with get-out clauses these days and Ryanair!! I want to be proved wrong. Prepare for the worse,if you get on and all goes well,you have hit jackpot.
Try and comply with their rules and regs if you can. Esp Ryanair. Hope you and your bike get back fine. Best wishes. Don't think I'd have the courage.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Wow what a negative (2nd) post. On what do you base your negativity?

I haven't flown Ryannair, but recently did the poly bag thing on Easyjet.

Firstly, I didn't buy the CTC one, but got a free one from local bed shop.

Secondly, I didn't take off wheels, why do you want to do this? I just put whole bike in the bag. This means that forks, drop outs and wheels are much better protected. If you need to remove a wheel to fit the bag, I suggest you do the front one and get a spacer to fit between the forks. Spacers are used in new bike delivery so asl your LBS.

Hopefully someone will come forward with specific info on Ryannair, but I was recommended to take copy of CTC pages on packing and travelling with a bike in poly bag. Search, or look at my old post about Easyjet and poly bag.

Edit: Here is my old post, I can't copy links, but they are in the second post down
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=96686
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

Thanks for the replies. I'm planning on taking the wheels off just because it's easier to handle the bike on a luggage trolley and in taxi etc. I will, of course, use drop-out spacers to protect it from crushing. I'm not too concerned about scratches to the frame as I've promised myself a re-spray next winter anyhow.

I just want to gauge the likelihood of being turned away if I use one of these polybags. The bed shop sounds like a great idea BTW. Thanks.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I guess I am basing my negative fears from Michael O Leary past quotes. I think he has recently taken to trying to reform his character and past comments as Ryanairs profits began to dip as people were becoming 'worried' to book with the airline. I think you will find evidence in the Business sections of credible papers.

I have flown many times with just a polythene bag over the bike: it's been fine. But that was with different airlines.

I think 70% of my friends voice my own fears over this airline...and they don't travel with bicycles! Still,I accept many do fly Ryanair and must have no trouble at all. I might be reading the wrong newspapers or listening to the wrong radio stations.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

Make no mistake that if I could choose to use another carrier I might consider it, but as Ryanair are the only operator that fly from Perpignan to Stansted it's largely academic how shoddy their customer service is.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

If you have time before you leave, consider dropping their customer services an email to confirm. I've flown with a CTC bag several times, but not yet used Ryanair.
http://www.farawayvisions.com/flying-with-a-bicycle/
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Flown loads of times with Ryanair and CTC plastic bag, no problems, most recently was last october prestwick to carcassonne and return.
A plastic bag is a 'protective bag', it protects other luggage from your oily chain, thats what they are worried about, no bag protects your bike from anything.
No reason to worry about Ryanair more than any other airline.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

rualexander wrote:Flown loads of times with Ryanair and CTC plastic bag, no problems, most recently was last october prestwick to carcassonne and return.
A plastic bag is a 'protective bag', it protects other luggage from your oily chain, thats what they are worried about, no bag protects your bike from anything.
No reason to worry about Ryanair more than any other airline.

Thanks very much, that's just what I wanted to know. Do you think I'll get away with the tent strapped to the rack?
mben

Post by mben »

I have used CTC bags with Ryan sir as recently as last month with no problems, however they do have a weight restriction for cycles (worth checking on line) and they need to lay them flat top pass through the x-ray machine. In addition, they need to be easily handleable so the lower the weight the better. Their cost for transporting bikes is much higher than Easy Jet c£60 from memory (again all on line).
I put 1 pannier as hold luggage and the other as hand luggage. Would recommend using pipe insulation to protect the bike before packing and removing the pedals and turning the handlebars to protect the levers.

Happy cycling
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I am pleased others have replied positively to you and with some very good suggestions ++.

I was going to worry you again with another concern but through Socratic dialogue realized I didn't make sense! Basically,was going to worry about the baggage handlers for Ryanair. But as the baggage handlers are 'airport employees' I see no reason why they would treat Ryanair cycle baggage any different from other airline companies baggage. Wottaworrier!

Feel sure Ryanair don't want any made complaint against them as you don't want any damage to your bike. Enjoy your holiday
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

It's not the question asked but I'd rethink the front-wheel-off plan, which sounds like it'd make the lot more fragile and prone to damage.

Put the bits of the tent that won't get past carry-on security tests (poles, pegs) into wee bag strapped to rack. Take rest into cabin, reducing bike weight, handling risks, security quibbles.
rootes

Post by rootes »

Here is a tip... only found out as Wiggle unusually failed to deliver when I ordered a CTC bike bag..

Single Mattress cover bag from http://www.safestore.co.uk/ sure the other storage places sell similar and best bit was only £4.49 plus they sell 'fragile' tape..

Few bits of pipe lagging, pedals and rear mech off, front wheel off (my bike is very big so this helps with pack size with wheel on it would be too big to go into the oversize luggage scanner at T2) and then bars turned and tweaked

Pic of bike as arrived in Iceland via Heathrow

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... hoto%2cjpg

All fine and no issues at Heathrow or coming back at Keflavik.

Kept the bag with me on tour (rolled up on rack), though binned the lagging and bought more for return trip, fragile take stayed with me on my water bottle.

Repacking not quite so neat on way back, but it is on the pavement outside the departure terminal.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 ... hoto%2cjpg

Another tip, put 2x pannier in one of those tartan laundry bags to make a single bag. Again no issues. Left bottles in cages and sleeping mat bungled to rack.

Also Trangia kettle and d lock/chain lock is fine as hand luggage it seems.

Also make sure they stick the barcode tag on the side of the bag with the gear train as that way it is more likely to be kept that way up.

Si
22camels

Post by 22camels »

rootes wrote:my bike is very big so this helps with pack size with wheel on it would be too big to go into the oversize luggage scanner at T2

how big is it? is this just to make it easier or there is some sort of official limit? I know some airlines specify max length of bike (e.g. 190cm?) but most standard two wheel touring bikes should be inside that.

I'm flying with the CTC bag with Easyjet soon and would rather not have to take any wheels off..
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

I managed to get the bike on the plane, but had to take the wheels off in order for it to fit through the scanner at Perpignan. I'd packed the bike and taped up the bag and checked-in the panniers (with my tools in) when the rather animated luggage handler said it wouldn't fit and I'd have to take the wheels off. Had I known beforehand, I could have probably got away with just reversing the stem to reduce the overall height of the bike, but I was left with no option but to take both wheels off and hope that the frame didn't get crushed. It didn't, but the moral is: check the bike fits through the scanner before you pack it.