What do you cycle in?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

What do you cycle in?

Post by Phil66 »

Hi Folks,

Just wondering what people are wearing on the bike these days, shorts wise, for long tours. Something for the hot weather as I'll be off to South East Asia soon. I'd like to get away from padded cycling shorts if I can, but they do do the job, don't they.
simonhill

Re: What do you cycle in?

Post by simonhill »

I cycle a lot in SEA, as in months most years.

I wear padded cycle shorts because they are the most comfortable for me. I wear very thin underwear underneath to help with hygiene and avoid washing shorts too often.

I think what you wear on top is more important. The sun is strong and overhead so protection is essential. I wear a gents longsleeve shirt. They have a good collar to protect your neck and long sleeves with button cuffs that overlap my gloves. Off the bike these shirts look more normal than cycling garb and are usually long enough to cover your short bulge when standing. Available in all good charity shops for a couple of quid. Go for polycotton as wash and dry easily.

Some favour round neck and short sleeve cycling shirts and then slap on loads of sunscreen. Crazy in my opinion.

I also have a very thin pair of baggy long shorts that I wear over my cycling shorts when the sun is high to save my knees and lower legs from burning. They can also act as modesty shorts when hunting for hotel or shopping, etc.

I normally wear a cap, but also have a wide brim bush type hat, available locally for a quid or two.

I try to finish cycling by about 1pm, after that it really starts hotting up.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Merino wool undies and regular shorts (if it's warm), or unpadded Gore tights if it's cold. Sometimes I wear merino long johns under the shorts. I ditched the padding a good while back. Horrible things, bulky to carry and difficult to wash and dry. I have no issues with chafe. Body gets used to the lack of padding very quickly.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lycra for me. And as much padding as possible. Comfy, light, easy to wash in the shower.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Shorts: Assos Fi.Mille S5 or T.équipe_S7. Would like the T.cento_S7 but don't want to take out another mortgage. Any other shorts I've tried have had grievous effects. The S7 series "lycra" seems to have a lot less give than the older series, so I hope they'll last better.

In winter I wear summer shorts under Gore-Tex tights.

Otherwise, whatever wicking fabric I can get, usually my club jerseys, one, two or three at a time depending on temperature, with arm warmers as necessary. Soft Shell jacket for low temperatures, but not if I can get away with a thick long-sleeved wicking jacket. "Breathable" is a damned lie.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Audax67 wrote:Shorts: Assos Fi.Mille S5 or T.équipe_S7. Would like the T.cento_S7 but don't want to take out another mortgage. Any other shorts I've tried have had grievous effects. The S7 series "lycra" seems to have a lot less give than the older series, so I hope they'll last better.

In winter I wear summer shorts under Gore-Tex tights.

Otherwise, whatever wicking fabric I can get, usually my club jerseys, one, two or three at a time depending on temperature, with arm warmers as necessary. Soft Shell jacket for low temperatures, but not if I can get away with a thick long-sleeved wicking jacket. "Breathable" is a damned lie.

Yes, "breathable" means nothing once you have begun to sweat. In warmer climates breathable waterproofs do not get rid of moisture at all.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Standard breathable shorts with loose fit and minimal seams. My current ones are by Rohan. No padding as I find it adds to sweating problems in high temperatures and prefer to let the air flow. Drying padded shorts can be a pain as well. I prefer loose shorts on tour as you can wander around markets, historic sites and sometimes even temples without causing offence.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

When touring:
Padded 3/4 length undershorts, 3/4 length shorts or cut off combats, long sleeve base layer top, Band/sci-fi t-shirt, fingerless gloves, Boonie hat, SPD shoes/Sandals.
I prefer to avoid all Lycra as walking into a local shop dressed in clothing so tight it looks like I've strolled out of a fetish club could offend.