santander to cherbourg

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
newbootclimbco

santander to cherbourg

Post by newbootclimbco »

i am considering cycling from Santander back up to Cherbourg starting second week of September, questions, is there a reasonable mountain route over the Pyrenees and then roughly follow a coastal route up through France ? . Also I can't be bothered to carry camping gear so I hope to use hostels and B and Bs if possible. Please guys any suggestions and tips would be greatly received. I have about 16 days. Thanks T.
tatanab

Re: santander to cherbourg

Post by tatanab »

Cross the Pyrenees a little inland to avoid the busy roads around Hendaye. I crossed from Donetzebe/Santesteban on N121B to Ainhoa and Espelette. A nicely graded climb peaking at 600 metres. I found it easy and I was carrying camping kit. From there it is easy to head back towards the coast where it is pretty well pan flat until after Bordeaux. I also avoid Bordeaux and crossed the river Gironde on the ferry from Pointe de Grave to Royan which made a nice 30 minute break.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

You should do a search on this topic as many forum members have done this trip and there is lots of information already on this forum.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

I did the Santander to St Malo run a couple of years ago and was getting quite stressed about the Spanish section until I actually did it. The roads from Santander to San Sebastian are fine apart from a short section on the run-in to San Sebastian itself where it was a bit busy. There are some hilly sections along the coast road, but nothing too drastic and the traffic was light all the way. Avoid Bilbao by crossing the estuary at the transporter bridge before you get to the city.

I had been told that the section across the border from San Sebastian was a nightmare with busy roads an tunnels to contend with. I did it on a Sunday morning And just set my Garmin to take me from one village on the route to the next and before I knew it I was in France having seen no traffic, no tunnels and no border. Once you're in France you can pick your route and you're pretty much guaranteed quiet roads.

You might struggle with hostels on the Spanish section. I stayed in one in San Sebastian but it wasn't cheap or good. Apart from that there didn't seem to be a lot along that part of the coast and even camp site are few and far between.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

mullinsm wrote:I had been told that the section across the border from San Sebastian was a nightmare with busy roads an tunnels to contend with. I did it on a Sunday morning And just set my Garmin to take me from one village on the route to the next and before I knew it I was in France having seen no traffic, no tunnels and no border. Once you're in France you can pick your route and you're pretty much guaranteed quiet roads.

I am glad someone has had the same experience I have had with my now 4 rides on this section. As I have stated in previous postings; if you pick the correct costal route as stated, from village to village you will have a good ride on fairly quiet roads. Once over the border at Irun you will find almost traffic free coastal roads past Hendaye and onto Biarittz.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

bikepacker wrote:
mullinsm wrote:I had been told that the section across the border from San Sebastian was a nightmare with busy roads an tunnels to contend with. I did it on a Sunday morning And just set my Garmin to take me from one village on the route to the next and before I knew it I was in France having seen no traffic, no tunnels and no border. Once you're in France you can pick your route and you're pretty much guaranteed quiet roads.

I am glad someone has had the same experience I have had with my now 4 rides on this section. As I have stated in previous postings; if you pick the correct costal route as stated, from village to village you will have a good ride on fairly quiet roads. Once over the border at Irun you will find almost traffic free coastal roads past Hendaye and onto Biarittz.

It has to be said that my easy journey was in no small part facilitated by the helpful advice which you provided at the time Alan. Thanks again!
robing

Post by robing »

mullinsm wrote:I did the Santander to St Malo run

I'm in Burgos and am heading to San Sebastián and then St Malo. Do you have a link of your route? I had a provisional plan as far as La Rochelle but originally I was going to Calais.
robing

Post by robing »

bikepacker wrote:

Do you have a link to this route? I will be going from San Sebastian to Irun and then crossing the border in the next few days.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

robing wrote:
mullinsm wrote:I did the Santander to St Malo run

I'm in Burgos and am heading to San Sebastián and then St Malo. Do you have a link of your route? I had a provisional plan as far as La Rochelle but originally I was going to Calais.

I didn't plot it or plan it. I headed north east from Biarritz through Bordeaux towards Poitiers, then to Tours, Angers and Rennes before St Malo. To be honest, the terrain is pretty much flat whichever way you choose and the roads are so quiet it really doesn't matter which route you take. Just make sure you've got food as it can be very hard to find any out in the wilds.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks guys for all the replies regarding the above. Although personally I have plenty of time for this ride maybe 3 weeks , my old cycling buddy can only get a couple of weeks away from his family. So new idea ferry to cherbourg turn left and head up the coast to Calais then ferry back to dover and home to dorset. Any know good routes and now maybe camping as we go. cheers T.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

my old cycling buddy can only get a couple of weeks away from his family.

I've been researching this route and, AFAIK, 2 weeks ought to be enough if you crack on and don't dawdle.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

I did Santander to St Malo in 12 days and I didn't kill myself.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

What was your daily milage?
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

maxglide wrote:

What was your daily milage?

I aimed for 100k most days apart from a short day to San Sebastian and a very short day from there to Biarritz and one long day from Tours towards Rennes via Angers when I did 100 miles on flat roads. 100k a day should see it done easily in 14 days or less and that's a very manageable distance given the terrain. I was arriving at my campsite by 2pm on some days.