Reading to Paris

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Daz393

Reading to Paris

Post by Daz393 »

Hi everyone.
I'm fairly new on here having got my new bike last September, but due to an ongoing arm injury I've only ridden 43 miles on it.
I'm absolutely gagging to get some miles done on it, and I have decided to push myself a little by planning a 3 day ride from Reading to Paris. I'm 45, a smoker but not for much longer, and generally in fairly good health. I've only ridden my bike 5 times so far due to my arm, with the longest route being 17 miles. That's not a lot to most, but for me that was a good effort and included some very steep hills.
I am after some info that would help with routes and prep. I plan to ride to Portsmouth and get an overnight cabin to Le Havre and then do an overnight stop after day 2, with the 3rd day taking me to either Eiffel Tower or the Arc de Triomphe. Depending on my level of fitness at this time it'll either be another ride back or Eurostar

I would like to hear from others who have done this ride.

Many thanks

Daz
Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Albert Einstein
Daz393

Re: Reading to Paris

Post by Daz393 »

Forgot to mention, I haven't ridden properly since my teens, when I used to do 100+ miles every week, but I know that was a long time ago!!!!
sail&fish

Post by sail&fish »

We are riding Portsmouth to Paris in August but taking 5 days over an indirect route. 3 days from Reading might be a slog. The usual (well most documented route) appears to be Dieppe to Paris and there is some good info on this site.

We are taking the fast cat from Portsmouth to Le Havre and I seem to remember that they would not take bikes on the night crossing, whether that is all crossing or just the one we tried to book I am not sure.

Our return will be via Eurostar and we are going for the (unbooked) drop off service; this guarantees delivery to London within 48 hours and the bike will then be held in London for a period of time. We phoned SNCF in London and they were really helpful, we then booked via topcashback through SNCF to get 3% off.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

The final part of Donald Hirsch's Dieppe - Paris route is actually from Versailles in the west. It ends at the Eiffel Tower and I suggest it would be a great way to finish off your ride.

Also that when you've been fit, your expectations don't adjust accurately to your actual fitness. The answer is (basically) to ride more. :)
Daz393

Post by Daz393 »

Thanks guys. The route I've planned so far is 125 miles from LH to Paris, so 60 miles a day should be doable. Reading to PM is 47 miles, again very much doable. We will (3 of us) need to do much more planning between now and then and no doubt the route will change. We also have a support driver offering his help, albeit he'll be using my estate car, so we'll have loads of room for kit. This way we can also take a 6 man done tent and basic camping gear for total self sufficiency. Water and food will be carried onboard. We can then come back by car as I have roof bars for the bikes.
If anyone has a tried and tested route from LH that would be a big bonus.
Kind regards
Daz
stu1102

Post by stu1102 »

Hi

As I understand it you've ridden your bike with the 'longest route being 17 miles' Without being judgemental to jump from that to 60 miles per day is a significant jump. I would suggest you start to do some training so that you can do at least 45--50 miles per day

In regards to the route I would suggest you start to use this as a planning tool http://cycle.travel/ More detail on this are contained here below on the board if you look below on the threads viewtopic.php?f=16&t=83831

if you are coming from LH then you may miss Rouen which is a beautiful medieval city. I would strongly suggest you try and incorporate Rouen into your route planning

As was suggested above Donald Hirsch has a classic route into Paris which allows you to enter Paris through the Royal Forests near Versailles http://www.donaldhirsch.com/dieppeparis.html

good luck
Vmlopes

Post by Vmlopes »

Daz, not sure whereabouts in Reading you are but if you want to get some sociable miles under your belt I suggest coming along to the CTC group rides on Sunday mornings, normally from the fountain next to Caversham bridge or by Asda in Earley.

See you there hopefully.....pm if you need anymore details
Daz393

Post by Daz393 »

Stu1102, indeed my longest route is 17 miles due to my arm, but I have until April/May to get in many more miles. I'm hoping that my arm will be sorted in the not too distant future without surgery. It is only that which is currently holding me back due to vibration and pressure on my elbow. I gave every intention to be +120 miles pw with cycling to work on some shifts as it is a 30 mile round trip.
On top of this would then be longer rides on my days off.
I've been to Rouen before in my kit car on the way to Le Mans and we camped overnight. Yes it is a beautiful town. I will look at your link, so thank you for taking time to post back to me.

Hi Vmlopes.
I've just joined the Nth Hampshire Road Club as I am actually near to Basingstoke, but my colleagues are in and around Reading. The chances are we will set out from there somewhere [emoji4]
Depending on the NHRC routes, I may just take you up on your Sunday morning offer!