Bike packing versus conventional touring.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Farawayvisions

Re: Bike packing versus conventional touring.

Post by Farawayvisions »

I use a lightweight setup to carry gear. A mix of kit from Wildcatgear and Alpkit. I'm a similar aged, small person riding a mountain bike. I have no shame in pushing if I'm getting it tight. The more you ride the easier it gets. Ideally, I'd love a specific touring bike with a Rohloff, but I use what I have. One of the great advantages of the ultralight setup is that there is no rattling from racks and panniers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This is my Domane loaded up for a few nights away. Weighed in at 30lbs includes sandals and water bottle.
That was my old aluminium frame. Now using CF but it's no lighter but much smoother. Image
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've just taken the Domane route myself with PBP in mind. Topeak Tourguide in front and either a Super C Audax or a Lowsaddle Longflap behind. The LL has more windage, which matters a deal on PBP. I like the shallow drops on the Domane - I find myself riding much further on them than on the deeper drops on my usual Audax bike.

However, the point is that unloaded the Domane is a delight to train on. It's fun: when you push down hard on the pedals the thing flies. I'm a bit overweight as well, and could easily lose the difference in weight between my Audax bike and this, but counter-intuitive as it sounds, the amount of mass you have to shift that isn't your own body does make a difference.

Caveat: the weight limit on a Domane is 100 kilos. Less than that and you're laughing.

Oh: the only thing I don't like is having to carry a 500 cc bottle at the back, but any bike with a sloped crossbar suffers from the same limitation. And I can't find anywhere to put my Road Morph pump. On the bike, that is.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
honesty

Post by honesty »

Heres my Thorn audax. bike is approximately 11.5kg + 5kg of equipment (bags etc.) + 1.5l of water = about 18kg or approx 40lbs

WP_20150210_08_25_28_Pro.jpg

Im guessing the difference between this and the domane shown previously is I'm carrying a kilo or so more luggage and there's probably about 1 or 2kg more weight in the bike.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have now hit the tender age of 50 and carry a fair amount of excess weight I'm struggling to enjoy cycling. Hills kill me and anything over 20 miles loaded is a real challenge.

How often do your ride your bike? How far do you go when you ride?

As someone who has been hauling children, plus all the things necessary for trips with children, for the last 9 years or so, I can assure you that a little extra weight doesn't make as much difference as fitness. If you want to go up hills more easily, go up hills a lot, and they will soon become easier.

Even though I was fairly fit, when I moved from a relatively flat place to a relatively hilly one, I had some work to do to get better at climbing.

The hardest hill I ever climbed was the first hill I pedalled up after 2 months off the bike with a broken rib.

To get touring fit.... I can do it on tour, but I need to start with low mileage and work my way up to it. And that's true, however much I am carrying. The difference between credit card touring and fully loaded is probably only about 10 miles per day, if I'm not fit for it.

If I can prepare, I need to ride 4 or 5 days pers week, at least 20 miles each time, and every 3rd ride or so, go longer and longer, and work my way up to my expected daily touring mileage.

Can you commute by bicycle? Or drive / train part way and cycle the rest? Do errands or shopping by bicycle?

Good luck with it. I hope you find your enjoyment in cycling again.

p.s. if you want a new bike, or think that will help, by all means get one. Go out and ride some bikes and see what takes your fancy. But if you think it will get you up the hills more easily, you may be paying for disappointment.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I would agree, you've a larger saddlebag but probably not many more clothes in there assuming you are carrying tubes and tools in it. I've got my tubes etc in the 2nd bottle cage.
A bit more weight in your saddle too maybe.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

honesty wrote:Heres my Thorn audax. bike is approximately 11.5kg + 5kg of equipment (bags etc.) + 1.5l of water = about 18kg or approx 40lbs

What size saddlebag is that? Nelson? The whole set-up looks very neat.
honesty

Post by honesty »

that and CSC camera and stuff in the barbag, plus the bagman rack weighs half a kilo etc. Im guessing though that even an ali domane is probably about 9kg so theres about 2.5kg sitting right there. I actually did some photos of the packing if you are interested here http://www.onesti.co.uk/?p=46 Having looked at that it was 5kg in the saddle and a further 2.5kg in the bar. So in total about 20kg for the whole lot including water. or 45lbs.

Yes, the saddle bag is a Nelson. Seemed about perfect size for 4 days B&B touring.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Manalishi wrote:Despite the fact that we all have an obligation to be happy there is turmoil in my world.
I have owned a number of touring bikes over the years and have enjoyed some memorable tours.
My current bike is a Thorn Nomad Rohloff. Whilst it's a very well built bike, it weighs a ton. Somewhere in the region of 19kg without bags.
I have now hit the tender age of 50 and carry a fair amount of excess weight I'm struggling to enjoy cycling. Hills kill me and anything over 20 miles loaded is a real challenge.
In the back of my mind I can't help but resent the weight of the bike. (Yes, I should lose 20kg myself).
I'm toying with the idea of going with a light road bike such as a Trek Domane and then strapping on a couple of dry bags to carry an ultralight shelter etc.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of extended touring with such a lightweight setup?
Any advice would be great!

What you probably need is an "audax" style bike such as a Spa Titanium Audax or a Thorn Audax (steel frame), much lighter than your Nomad (11.5 kg with a pannier rack seems possible) and much easier to keep rolling. You can keep the proper mudguards and relaxed position but lose the unnecessary weight. These bikes will easily take small panniers on a rack.
nez

Post by nez »

You can get a lot of gear in one of these Image

and it will go on an audax or road bike.
nez

Post by nez »

I'm investigating resizing the image! Meanwhile this is a better picture

Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

Yes, I do like the idea of an audax. It seems that you have to always get them to order - not very popular in the high street shops.
A Ribble winter audax 105 looks good value.
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

Vorpal wrote:

How often do your ride your bike? How far do you go when you ride?

As someone who has been hauling children, plus all the things necessary for trips with children, for the last 9 years or so, I can assure you that a little extra weight doesn't make as much difference as fitness. If you want to go up hills more easily, go up hills a lot, and they will soon become easier.

Even though I was fairly fit, when I moved from a relatively flat place to a relatively hilly one, I had some work to do to get better at climbing.

The hardest hill I ever climbed was the first hill I pedalled up after 2 months off the bike with a broken rib.

To get touring fit.... I can do it on tour, but I need to start with low mileage and work my way up to it. And that's true, however much I am carrying. The difference between credit card touring and fully loaded is probably only about 10 miles per day, if I'm not fit for it.

If I can prepare, I need to ride 4 or 5 days pers week, at least 20 miles each time, and every 3rd ride or so, go longer and longer, and work my way up to my expected daily touring mileage.

Can you commute by bicycle? Or drive / train part way and cycle the rest? Do errands or shopping by bicycle?

Good luck with it. I hope you find your enjoyment in cycling again.

p.s. if you want a new bike, or think that will help, by all means get one. Go out and ride some bikes and see what takes your fancy. But if you think it will get you up the hills more easily, you may be paying for disappointment.

I do often commute but cycling into the centre of Birmingham is terrible, virtually no cycle lanes. It's a disgrace how cities get away with lame cycle provision.

Then again I often complete the whole 8 miles without seeing another cyclist. What does that tell you?

I don't use the Thorn for the commute as a don't think it would last long parked outside of the university. I use either my Gazelle Heavy Duty NL or a Brompton.
PH

Post by PH »

honesty wrote:Heres my Thorn audax. bike is approximately 11.5kg + 5kg of equipment (bags etc.) + 1.5l of water = about 18kg or approx 40lbs

I wonder what the weight difference between that and my Hewitt is? it's off for a respray or I'd weigh it, I suspect it isn't going to be much if built up with similar wheels and tyres and IMO is a more versatile option. For someone 20kg overweight the extra stiffness would probably be an advantage.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Well I'm 100kg, so I'm happy with having an audax bike that leans more towards the touring end. The audax frame is overweight when compared to other audax frames (the spa steel one is 1.8kg compared to the Thorn at 2.3kg) but I can only guess this is because of slightly thicker tubes. I've had it lighter in the past, as had carbon forks, but changed to Thorns 853c forks for the greater tyre clearance with only a small weight penalty. The ride is fantastic on them as well, and it looks good!