10 days in August. Where should I go?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PeterJ

10 days in August. Where should I go?

Post by PeterJ »

I have 10-14 days available in August for a solo bike tour. I'm a bit of a novice - have only done short Way of the Roses and Coast & Castles mini-tours in the past.

I'd prefer to avoid having to dismantle and reassemble the bike for aeroplane or Eurostar.

I'd quite like some sunshine.

I'm open to the idea of camping.

I speak some French and a few words of Spanish.

Bike is a rather battered Ridgeback Voyage.

Any suggestions would be very welcome! :D
kernow montpelier

Re: 10 days in August. Where should I go?

Post by kernow montpelier »

Britanny Ferries from Portsmouth or Plymouth to Santander and then along the coast or a nice little detour into the Picos de Europa? The ferry company even have a suggested itinery on the site if I remember correctly. Lots of campsites on the coast and enough to plan a route in the Picos. I've always found that they will squeeze a solo cyclist in somewhere even when they are 'full' Lovely place - you may well have some rain but it is perfectly tolerable as rain goes ie not too cold.
or ferry to Normandy/Brittany?
Have a good time.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Just a quick note. Don't need to dismantle bike for Eurostar. They have some spaces for full bikes for about £30 a pop. Booking recommended though. Have fun
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you kernow montpelier and captain offensive for the suggestions. I'd never heard of the Picos de Europa, and I hadn't realised that I could take my bike fully assembled on Eurostar. I shall ponder some more....
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

I'm hideously biased, but for a first tour Brittany can't be beaten - hugely varied and you'll fall in love with the place. Easy ferry from Plymouth and Roscoff - there's a simple route here you can follow - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... route.html - and some other general advice here - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... rance.html

I've obviously lots of routes on file so if you want help just email and I'll help out - the more people who cycle over here the better;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

Train to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk then a tour of Flanders. Cross into Belgium for wonderful mussels and great beers. Visit Bruges, Westvleteren abbey for the Trappist beers and Ypres for the last post at the Menin gate.

The terrain is flat and there are some great cycle routes!
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the sound of Brittanny and Flanders. All these routes/areas are ones I hadn't known about - I'm really glad I sought advice on this forum.
PH

Post by PH »

bretonbikes wrote:I'm hideously biased, but for a first tour Brittany can't be beaten - hugely varied and you'll fall in love with the place. Easy ferry from Plymouth and Roscoff - there's a simple route here you can follow - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... route.html - and some other general advice here - http://www.bretonbikes.com/generalartic ... rance.html

I've obviously lots of routes on file so if you want help just email and I'll help out - the more people who cycle over here the better;-)

Thanks for that, what a useful guide.
PH

Post by PH »

Manalishi wrote:Train to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk then a tour of Flanders.

Or cross through the tunnel;
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller- ... /bicycles/
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm doing a similar length tour round the Netherlands at the end of August. I have a rough idea of my route, but while my kids are with their mum this week I take the opportunity to plan a decent route. Can't wait...b
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

PH wrote:
Manalishi wrote:Train to Dover, ferry to Dunkirk then a tour of Flanders.

Or cross through the tunnel;
http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller- ... /bicycles/

I have done the tunnel too but it invariably costs more, the drop off is not as nice and you lose the Ferry "experience ". I just like ferries as it feels that you are traveling somewhere. :)
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Just back from 10 days in Brittany. Not sure where you'll be starting from but ferries from Plymouth and Portsmouth give choices about where to go, and couldn't be easier on a bike (even rolling up 15 mins before sailing, not recommended for those of nervous disposition but an open swing bridge caused unexpected delay). We followed the voie vertes extensively, old railway lines, alongside canals and rivers, etc, linking up to roads as you like. Signage impressively good, which means you don't waste time wondering which way to turn. Red Dog produces good guide books - we used their Brittany's Green Ways http://www.reddogbooks.com and really happy with the routes we chose. http://www.cycling.brittanytourism.com excellent website setting out all you might want to know. Breton Bikes based in the centre and they know their stuff and worth looking at their website. We chose to stay with Air B&B and had excellent or better accommodation throughout, and very good value. Campsites all over, never an issue finding one. Caught le Tour at Mur de Bretagne, really enjoyable and provided my not-usually cycling friends with some lovely memories. We probably spent half the time on voie vertes but this area is simply an outstanding area to cycle tour in and not too far from UK. Weather was excellent throughout and the restaurants and cafes were as good, or better, as you'd expect. We had a day off near Bon Repos Abbey on the Nantes-Brest canal, lovely Sunday morning market. Mixture of bikes, but road bikes fine on the rough surfaces (using 28 mm tyres), anything more robust even better. Exchange rate very favourable at present.
One of my friends recovering from serious climbing accident and never cycle-toured before so a real test for him being on a bike each day. At the end of the trip everyone asking where we're going next - they loved Brittany and were amazed that they loved cycle touring - Brittany really is that good.
Wherever you go, enjoy yourself.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you Chat Noir - I've just bought 'Brittany's Green Ways' and it looks very helpful.

I intend to rely on hotels and B&Bs rather than camping, so any recommendations would be welcome. I'm having a little difficulty finding places that aren't already booked up.

Pete
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

We found the guidebook great, in conjunction with the Brittany cycling website and I plan journeys with cycle.travel .

We went Portsmouth – St Malo, and then caught the small boat across La Ranche to Dinard, from where we followed the old railway line south from the centre of town. We stayed in Airbnb accommodation throughout (one of our group is a very organised American) and all of it was very good, some luxuriously good – not sure how this would be for solo travellers, although some of it was traditional B&B-type accommodation, we were a group of 6. I think the most we paid was 74 euros per couple, but most was less than this, sometimes a lot less. If you’re able to take camping gear this will give you lot of flexibility because there are sites all over, or plan to stay several nights in two or three places and then cycle out on day rides – the pleasure of cycling but without the luggage every day. Spent week in Gouarec the other year at the campsite by the Nantes – Brest canal, basic but pleasant, run by someone from UK, and we did day rides, very enjoyable. You can get stung as a single person in hotels and B&B – I cycled back from Tuscany to Grenoble last summer, no pre-booked accommodation and some of the prices were steep, but always able to find somewhere. Tourist information offices always helpful and happy to phone to get you into accommodation – easiest thing to do when arriving in strange place and some have up-to-date list of vacancies. We ate too well and too much while we were in Brittany – lots of very good restaurants and a very kind exchange rate, even if most lunches were baguettes and cheese lying in the sun somewhere. We did indulge some of the local Breton cuisine and drink, particularly their cidre, not something I’d tried before, but this might reduce your mileage the next day.
Enjoy the trip.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you again - I'll keep an eye open for the cidre.