Age limits in city hostels now.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Barrenfluffit

Age limits in city hostels now.

Post by Barrenfluffit »

This seems to have become more widespread. Certainly in Brussels and Berlin there are multiple hostels which will not accept anyone over their age limit into a dorm (or even at all).

In Brussels the Youth Hostel "Génératon Europe" is one of the few not to have a limit; its quite restricting. Its also often hidden in the small print of their faq's (if at all). But it does mean having to check one by one. Others ask for an age or birthdate when booking.

Berlin is also problematic in this regard as it restricts suitability in a very busy market. Generator Berlin Prenzlauer Berg is ok policy wise but it's 100% pitched at a young party audience; better than nothing but not ideal either.

A good social hostel with a mix of travellers doing interesting things is a wonderful thing. Without variety it's more like a boozing coach tour.
jezer

Re: Age limits in city hostels now.

Post by jezer »

What age are you talking about?
Power to the pedals
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

really. That surprises me. and I find irritating. I wonder whether it is legal? Certainly in this country it wouldnt be? I assume you mean OLD PEOPLE. Clearly the wardens dont want to shock or worry the youngsters at the sight of old bodies - that YOU too will also look like that some time or other? Or may be the worry is some thing more sinister? Only CITY hostels?
honesty

Post by honesty »

I would assume that wouldn't be legal as well. You are not allowed to discriminate based on age.
fossala

Post by fossala »

honesty wrote:I would assume that wouldn't be legal as well. You are not allowed to discriminate based on age.

What about over 55 holidays?
honesty

Post by honesty »

No idea! :)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Ok, a quick google comes up with this: http://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/ci/fattach/get/588/1354033540/redirect/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDM2NTI1NTAwL3NpZC9vODRNQV9xbQ==/filename/financial-services.pdf
The Government wrote:The Government is bringing into force a ban on age discrimination in the provision of goods, facilities and services, the exercise of public functions, and the running of private clubs and other associations. The ban will be effective from 1 October 2012 when the relevant provisions contained in Part 3 of the Equality Act 2010 (the Equality Act) come into force.

And

The Government wrote:From 1 October 2012 the following are banned in the context of providing services:
• direct discrimination because of age, unless this can be objectively justified. Direct age discrimination is where someone is unfairly treated differently in comparison with another on the basis of age. Objective justification is being able to show that the discrimination is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate end

So, over 55's holidays you could probably objectively justify. Not sure you could for hostels.

Obviously UK law, but would assume there's something similar in the EU.
beardy

Post by beardy »

I have no objections if this is based on the atmosphere of the hostel. If in the past there has been friction between party-goers and early risers and the hostels market is for the party-goers then it is in everybody's interests to exclude the early risers.

If it isnt illegal in those countries to make the lazy distinction based on age as being a proxy for such attitudes then it seems like a crude solution to the problem.

As a user of UK's YHA, I notice the other problem, a lack of the youth. Not entirely the YHA's fault but of society's youth protection issues. How on a person's eighteenth birthday they magically change from poor defenceless victim to potential paedophile. Then more complicated rules about various allowable age combinations making it quite difficult for youngsters to travel together using hostels.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

An example from Brussels:

Guests over 40 years old will have to book a whole private room (you have to book the 2 beds, even if you are alone).
Nevertheless, if you are 4 guest over 40 years old, we can accommodate you in a 4 bedded dorm.

https://hello-hostel.eu/f-a-q/

Another Brussels one:

Do you have an age limit to stay in your hostel?

Dorm rooms: age limit until 45.
Private rooms: no age limit!

http://www.2go4.be/quality/en/faq.asp

As you can see the policy varies in the FAQ at each hostel. If your also searching for one with vacancies it makes it harder as the booking engines don't want to know. I'm wondering if using a mobile phone and looking them up "in country" makes it worse.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They do the same thing for children. My guess is that they are merely prioritising the common dormitories for people who are 16 - 40, which doesn't seem entirely unreasonable to me. It is, after all a *youth* hostel. It's a bit unfair to make someone over 40 book a room to him/her self, I think they should allow people the option of paying for a bed and not knowing who their roommate might be.

Many youth hostel organisations on the continent have some means to prioritise for youths. In Germany, some years ago, when I arrived without booking at a hostel that I believed would have space, I was told that people over 25 had to book in advance. I didn't see it as discrimination, I just went somewhere else.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

fossala wrote:
honesty wrote:I would assume that wouldn't be legal as well. You are not allowed to discriminate based on age.

What about over 55 holidays?

I doubt any inbetweener has ever been on an over 55 hol by choice?
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

fossala wrote:What about over 55 holidays?

I suspect "over 55" is a description of the nature of the holiday rather than a rule. It is probably a self-fulfilling description without any need for a rule. Even people in the 55-59 age range don't want to go on them.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

In Oz I have seen hostels that say only people with backpacks. Presumably to stop (what they think as) normal tourists. I was never turned away with panniers.

I also saw a no Australians rule in some towns eg Surfers Paradise ie only foreigners. I believe this is the case in some UK hostels to stop the indigenous party crowd.

Lots of potential work for the anti discrimination lawyers.
keepontriking

Post by keepontriking »

YHA lost it for me when they stopped discriminating against those who arrived by car.

That was a discrimination that made a LOT of sense :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

keepontriking wrote:YHA lost it for me when they stopped discriminating against those who arrived by car.

That was a discrimination that made a LOT of sense :wink:

1+