Journal of my recent 3-week tour of Northern Italy

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
raybo

Journal of my recent 3-week tour of Northern Italy

Post by raybo »

In April, 2015, I rode a wide 21-day oval starting and ending at Milan's Malpensa Airport. I rode east along the bottoms of the big, and not so big, Northern Italian lakes all the way to Bassano del Grappa, where I turned north and west, slowly making my way back among the mountains, valleys, and lakes.

This is some beautiful country full of gracious and hospitable people with a fabulous cuisine and long history. It was one of my favorite tours of all time!

I've just completed a detailed, day-to-day journal of the trip with hundreds of photos.

Since April was close to the recent low point of the Euro, the prices I encountered were very reasonable, except in Switzerland, where restaurant prices are outrageous, though other costs are more manageable.
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Sweep

Re: Journal of my recent 3-week tour of Northern Italy

Post by Sweep »

thanks. will check it out

may come back with some questions
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Seems to be only one fairly plain page. Links to planning page of links and a Track My Tour page. No photos or detailed descriptions. The "send me an email" link goes to http://www.biketouringtips.com/showTipComments which is a blank page. Is it yet to be uploaded?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I see a page of journal entries. Maybe your browser is filtering the webpage,I have Mozilla Firefox and no script addin and that when acting shows only an empty page. He uses javascript to process the links.

hello raybo. You got your bike into that grey suitcase? looks small? what bike you got - has S&S couplings?

wow I fond my answer here -

http://www.biketouringtips.com/showDailyEntryDetail.php?entryID=357&username=

near the bottom

talk about dismantling a bike!!!!!!!!
Last edited by mercalia on 7 Jul 2015, 6:20pm, edited 4 times in total.
jeremyduncombe14

Post by jeremyduncombe14 »

The journal worked fine for me, photos and all. I look forward to reading it in daily instalments.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mercalia wrote:I see a page of journal entries. Maybe your browser is filtering the webpage,I have Mozilla Firefox and no script addin and that when acting shows only an empty page

That'll be it. Why does a journal need to run programs?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
honesty

Post by honesty »

You missed Moniga on lake Garda. Best village there if you ask me, but I'm probably biased... It's where my dad's family is from. ;)
raybo

Post by raybo »

mjr wrote:
mercalia wrote:I see a page of journal entries. Maybe your browser is filtering the webpage,I have Mozilla Firefox and no script addin and that when acting shows only an empty page

That'll be it. Why does a journal need to run programs?

My website stores journal entries in a database. In order to get the entries out of the database and formatted onto a webpage, I chose to use Javascript. There is no reason I can think of why you wouldn't want to allow your browser to run javascript.

So, let me ask you a similar question: Why does someone who uses a browser need to block javascript?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

raybo wrote:So, let me ask you a similar question: Why does someone who uses a browser need to block javascript?

well scripts can be the ways that you get infected by viruses etc eg so called "cross-site scripting" Google it.

eg

http://www.acunetix.com/websitesecurity/cross-site-scripting/

I am sure your site is innocent, may be you need to put up a message saying that the site uses javascript to pull the data, so viewers know why they may not be seeing anything?

If you use noscript in Firefox it is some times shocking to see the the 10+ other sites being blocked that the viewed webpage is referring to with mostly unintelligable looking names, dont have a clue what in fact is going on, tracking? profile building?

On the matter of your bike dismantling - that must be a labour of love. Any one else here go to that extent?
raybo

Post by raybo »

mercalia wrote:On the matter of your bike dismantling - that must be a labour of love. Any one else here go to that extent?

Dismantling and packing the bike takes about 90 minutes. It allows me to fly my bike for the cost of checked luggage (zero for the flights from SF to London to Milan and back). I've never packed a regular, uncoupled bike for plane transport, so I don't know how long it takes. But counting the time it takes to find a box, it may not be all that different, time-wise. In addition, since my bike is in a suitcase, it has handles for carrying and wheels for rolling, which greatly eases the effort when I have to move the bike by my own power.

How do you transport your bike to the start of your tours?