CTC Bike Bag - A word of warning!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
deacs1

CTC Bike Bag - A word of warning!

Post by deacs1 »

I recently flew my touring bike over to Seattle airport from Heathrow, direct with British Airways. I padded the bike up very well, however...obviously not quite good enough. The one thing i did not do was put a filler between the fork dropouts (the little slots where the wheel axles drop in to). Big mistake - Along with a completely bent set of drop outs, my top tube was dented and brake lever bent (both padded). The luggage chimps at either heathrow or seattle must have given it a right good chuck around the tarmac, even though it was quite obviously a bike!

So from now on I will be using the cardboard box option! And probably not flying with BA in a hurry ever again - very poor customer service trying to get my damage claims back.

(Plus a cardboard bike box is way easier to handle..)
tatanab

Re: CTC Bike Bag - A word of warning!

Post by tatanab »

A cardboard box is not going to offer additional protection to your bike, although perhaps it allows for more protection to be stuffed around the bike. Please do not blame BA directly for the damage caused by handlers who are not their employees, although handling the claim is of course BA's responsibility. Damage claims are limited by an international agreement to quite a low sum and often you have to sign to accept this fact before you fly. BA are one of the more convenient airlines because there is no additional charge for the bike.

You have learned the hard way that it is necessary to put spacing blocks between the dropouts front and rear. In addition I turn the bars to line up with the top tube and with drops I turn them so they go under and around the top tube. This adds protection to brake levers which I have seen snapped off. I also tape the brake lever back to the handlebars so there is less leverage, again to prevent this. The aim is to reduce the number of sticking out bits, which is why you remove the pedals and why my touring machines never have cantilever brakes.

Agreed that a plastic bagged bike is difficult to handle, and the baggage handlers do not like it specifically because it makes life difficult for them.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Sorry to hear about your damage.Really the CTC bag is only suitable for heavy tourers & the like e.g. my Thorn Raven.
Anything lighter is probably best in a box/proper padded bike bag.
Unfortunately the baggage handlers don'y seem too bothered about throwing/stacking bags with consequent damage.
As for BA 'the World's Favourite Airline'- you must be joking!
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

I'm a big fan of the CTC bag method for the convenience it offers. I fully agree with previous advice regarding protection for the bike in transit, mine is a Thorn Raven Nomad so pretty tough. After sealing the bike (with fork brace and Rohloff ex-box protector fitted) into the bag I try to make handling of the bag as easy as possible by fitting a webbing strap around the balance point of the frame. This provides a grab handle for the baggage handlers and also a loop for the attaching of the transit label.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Another thing to remember, if you have derailleur gears, to change down to the lowest gear, to get your derailleurs as far out of harm's way as possible. Also helps to disconnect to loosen the brake cables, if there is something you can lift out, like a brake hanger or V-brake noodle.
deacs1

Post by deacs1 »

Agreed its not directly BA's fault - totally down to the baggage handlers. I have found BA are just hard work to deal with any issues..

I'm sure the bike bags are fine for most occasions, but the amount of padding i placed around the frame for it to still be dented just goes to show thats its not always enough.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I've not flown for some years with a bike. When I did, I always slightly loosened the brake lever mounts slightly (so still stiffish on the bars), so if the lever did get a knock, it could get pushed round on the bars a bit, thus reducing the impact on the lever.
At some point might go to NZ again (2 sisters there, who I try to fit in with cycling....), I might freight my bike to them next time - memories of bike on trolly at LA 4 hr stop over, only trolly available meant bike box was broadside on as I walked the mile or so to do US customs etc (yes, customs/immigration for a 4 hr stop over....)
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

I've used the CTC poly bag method for 5 flights and all without problems and as a starting point for preparing the bike, I recommend a read of the CTC advice given here plus other good points often mentioned by others, e.g. loosening brake levers.

I have bar end shifters on my tourer's drops, and I take out the lever pivot screw and tape the levers back onto the bars to keep them out of the way and I also take the rear mech off the frame hanger too.
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
pete75

Post by pete75 »

tatanab wrote:Please do not blame BA directly for the damage caused by handlers who are not their employees, although handling the claim is of course BA's responsibility.

If you pay a business to provide you with a service then it is at fault for service defects caused by any third party they choose to use.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
gdlerner

Post by gdlerner »

I always.flew.to South America with BA my bike always on a box I never hat any problem
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

pete75 wrote:
tatanab wrote:Please do not blame BA directly for the damage caused by handlers who are not their employees, although handling the claim is of course BA's responsibility.

If you pay a business to provide you with a service then it is at fault for service defects caused by any third party they choose to use.

But what was the service you paid for? I expect BA would say that you paid for normal handling by normal ground handlers only, with the risk of rough-and-tumble that implies.
horizon

Post by horizon »

The thread title is a bit odd: the CTC bag AIUI has nothing to do with protecting your bike but everything to do with meeting a requirement to protect other people's luggage from your greasy chain.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
pete75

Post by pete75 »

iviehoff wrote:
pete75 wrote:

But what was the service you paid for? I expect BA would say that you paid for normal handling by normal ground handlers only, with the risk of rough-and-tumble that implies.

If BA agree to carry bikes on their flights you're paying for the service. They're no more entitled to damage your bike than a suitcase.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

ubert767 wrote:I try to make handling of the bag as easy as possible by fitting a webbing strap around the balance point of the frame. This provides a grab handle for the baggage handlers and also a loop for the attaching of the transit label.

+1

I add two luggage straps round the outside of our tandem once it's been packed in the bag, the only function of which is to make life easier for the baggage handlers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I often have to sign a declaration saying that my bike is not properly packed and that the airline is not liab!e for any damage. This is even when it is in a box. This is fairly common with any oversize or irregular luggage.

Also, the airline have little control over the baggage handlers. They are supplied by the airport. As part of the overall contract I agree they are liable for your luggage, etc but like anyone, they are in the lap of the Gods once your stuff is on the conveyor belt?

In the old days when I used to bubble wrap my bike, I was once told by the oversize baggage guy that the baggage handlers hated bikes packed like that and would go out of their way to sling it around (Gatwick), one of the reasons I now box it.