Cycle computers.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

Cycle computers.

Post by Phil66 »

Morning folks,

I’ve got a 4 month tour of SEA coming up at the end of the year and having just got the new bike, I need to think about a cycle computer for it. I was just going to get a basic for £30-£40 but I’m wondering if I should get something a bit fancier. I could spend hundreds on one but are they worth it? Just thought I’d ask what everybody else is using and what features are really useful to have.

Cheers Guys
beardy

Re: Cycle computers.

Post by beardy »

If you are talking about just a non-GPS type speedometer then I would not spend that much.

I would buy something wired, cheap, reliable and battery friendly.

Like this as an example

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... igmcomp174

Or I would make the leap to a GPS system which will be both speedometer and navigation device.
I often have both as most of my bikes have a speedometer permanently fitted.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I can't comment on cycle computers with regard to touring, just day leisure rides. And I've been through quite a few thanks to my stupid preference for wireless ones (stupid as none of the many I've tried have worked properly - both digital wireless and analogue wireless). Problems with wireless ones include, having taken the computer off the bike or walking round a supermarket with the computer in my pocket I'd suddenly be moving at 15.3 mph ... 3 mph ... 0 mph, etc. A digital one I had (briefly) once recorded me doing 54 mph whilst I was stationary waiting at a junction (and the sensor magnet was opposite side of the axel to the sensor. (n.b. I ride alone so no "cross-talk" from other nearby cyclists). Another would periodically "get stuck" and have to riding at the same speed for around 5 mins; stop and still says you are riding along at the "stuck speed".

In the end I've found cabled is cheaper but more importantly works reliably.

The one I like is a basic (but not desperately cheap) model the Specialized Speedzone Sport (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/speedzone-sport-computer-ec034604 but available all over the place). Just does the basic speed, trip, time, odo, av speed +/- on av speed, but has a clear easy to read display and has sensible "averaging" (had one where the lag was terrible and you speed-up and computer says no change so you slow right down and suddenly it catches-up with your previous speed increase - and that was an expensive digital one as well).

However, I've only done day leisure rides and whilst with a bit of thought it is easy to route the cable neatly, I don't know is 4 months in SEQ the cable might be just something else to get caught/cause problems.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have been using a cheapo £3.50 one from Ebay for the last year, never take it off the bike ( who is going to steal it? and no one has) Has been reliable but a couple of times I think the battery has been upset and reset to zero, but easy to set back to previous mileage. A cheap one means you can take a spare should some thing happen. Mine uses cheap alkaline button cells so maybe need to be changed after about a year
meic

Post by meic »

The family fleet are all equipped with basic Halfords wired computers from about a decade ago. They need a new battery every six years as I use the slightly better silver oxide instead of the standard alkaline.

A lick of vaseline on the contact pins on the back and that is it for another six years*, totally reliable and automatic on/off.

*If you dont mind doing a BST to GMT conversion when reading the time.
Yma o Hyd