Cornish Adventure Scuppered?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hondated

Re: Cornish Adventure Scuppered?

Post by hondated »

RISKS

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
To weep is to risk being called sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement.
To expose feelings is to risk showing your true self.
To place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd is to risk being called naive.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure

But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.
Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his freedom.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Often attributed to the poet and thinker, Leo Buscaglia, the real author of this inspirational verse is Janet Rand.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Am dying to know if the "lady wife" has sanctioned this adventure.

Any update, new concerns raised, addressed?
Sweep
Perfectcircles

Post by Perfectcircles »

Thanks for the various suggestions and observations. My pal giggled a bit when I told him that he'd been recommended marriage guidance counselling. His wife was there at the time - and she didn't. Anyway, I reassured him/her/me that the general thrust of the local intelligence is that the lanes/high hedges don't cause a particularly high risk in that area at this busy time of year. However a slight spanner has now been thrown into the works. His mother in law has purloined the caravan!
horizon

Post by horizon »

:D :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Oh dear.
Mothers in Law are somewhat of a problem. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Perfectcircles

Post by Perfectcircles »

Now the caravan in Cornwall has gone as our base, ' the world's our oyster'! We've got three cycling days next week to play with. We're based in Nottinghamshire so could travel on Monday to a start point in Britain somewhere and cycle Tues, Weds, Thurs following a circular route, returning home on Thursday evening. Anyone any inspirational ideas for a short tour?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

landsurfer wrote:and those nice flat bits around Hayle and Penzance ... and the brill café in Penzance harbour ...

Seafood cafe eh - unusual.
Perfectcircles

Post by Perfectcircles »

For those interested, we ended up spending our three day window of opportunity on a mini tour to Brighton: stage 1 Nottingham (home) to Cambridge (104 miles); stage 2 Cambridge to London (70 miles); stage 3 London to Brighton (70 miles). Train back to Notts. Thoroughly enjoyable!
uppadine

Post by uppadine »

This word "leave" seems to be bandied around a lot on cycling forums. Sometimes it even seems that husbands are bandying it around as a badgebof honour. I find it very odd. I imagine most modern women would laugh in the face of any partner suggesting that they were subject to "leave" restrictions, however lightly presented.

I ride occasionally with someone who has to get leave, and if his wife says no, it's no go; she actually tries to stop all weekend excursions. Utterly astonishing as well as depressing, and he's big, beefy and no shrimp.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Perfectcircles wrote:For those interested, we ended up spending our three day window of opportunity on a mini tour to Brighton: stage 1 Nottingham (home) to Cambridge (104 miles); stage 2 Cambridge to London (70 miles); stage 3 London to Brighton (70 miles). Train back to Notts. Thoroughly enjoyable!

Thanks for the update. Sounds good. Trust the mother in law had a good time as well.
Sweep