Suggetsions for food on tour with a tiny budget

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bicycler

Suggetsions for food on tour with a tiny budget

Post by Bicycler »

A few mates were discussing the cheapest way to travel and the subject of food came up. What would be the cheapest way to get the necessary food whilst on a cycle tour (say 60 miles per day camping or long distance walk (15 miles per day camping) over a fortnight or so? I thought it was a purely theoretical question but it seems a couple of guys are thinking of putting it to the test probably with walking rather than cycling. The discussion was more concerned with getting the necessary energy rather than having pleasurable meals per se, though I suspect there are limits. Any suggestions?
Sweep

Re: Suggetsions for food on tour with a tiny budget

Post by Sweep »

Which country/territory would this tour be in?
Sweep
beardy

Post by beardy »

Lentils if you have free fuel (firewood).
Oats for breakfast

Though you would be wanting some fruit and veg if you want to live to be old as well.
So lentil and onion.
and some flavouring (curry powder)

Famously the Nepalese live on Dahl, rice and cabbage!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Bulk Rice? They could could buy a big sack of rice form an Asian grocery and carry it around :D
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
shane

Post by shane »

Fat!!!

Full of calories and often tasty.... Lard or butter added to said oats or lentil soup increases the flavour and calories dramatically :D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Vorpal hits on a important point that weight and volume of food are issues.

Beardy, I don't think any of us knows much about nutrition. The assumption was that getting the correct amount of energy would be the biggest issues in the short term and that a balanced diet wouldn't be necessary. Happy to be advised on this though.

Sweep, one friend had done several lengths of the North Sea Cycle Route before so was on about doing the Danish section as part of a loop from Hamburg. The other two are keen long distance walkers and were on about the Cape Wrath trail (Northern Scotland) which I think is what they are leaning towards. I suspect neither is likely to happen until spring next year.

Personally, I think they are all a bit strange :lol: but it did strike me that it was an interesting question potentially with wider application to others on a really tight budget.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

The first part of your post asks for the cheapest. Is that the overriding factor?

If in rural areas, you could try gleaniing, ie picking up the remnants after industrial style harvesting. Carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. A close eye on the road often finds things dropped off the trucks. Obviously cycling means you travel a lot further to enhance your chances of a find.

Out the back of supermarkets and other shops may be rewarding.

If not fussy then plenty of half eaten pizzas and burgers in an urban environment.

Is this what you meant by cheapest?

Generally things like pasta, noodles, rice and potatoes are cheap and give reasonable energy. Add flavouring, protein and veges as required.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have, on many occasions, stopped to pick up stuff dropped from harvest vehicles. I used to cycle through an area with several cabbage farms. At harvest time, they'd be scattered on the road. I felt entirely justified in collecting as many of these hazards as I could get onto my bike. One year I managed 4 cabbages; one in each pannier and two on my rack, held by a bungie net. It may not sound like much of a feat, but they were about nine inches in diameter and heavy, as well. The looks I got, cycling home with my cabbages...
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I rode to the French Alps and back on this diet.
Breakfast, porridge.
Lunch, baguette with cheeese.
Dinner, Lentil and vegetable stew.
Cooked on a petrol stove. I stopped at a petrol staion, held out my litre can. "De l'essence, si'l vous plait."
"De l'essence, dans cela?"
"Oui, pour la cuisine."
Raised eyebrows, shrug.
One bottle of cheapest wine per day, and tabac a roule.
One tip is to soak the lentils in a bidon whilst underway.
Maybe not the best diet, but I did 100 mpd.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bicycler wrote:A few mates were discussing the cheapest way to travel and the subject of food came up. What would be the cheapest way to get the necessary food whilst on a cycle tour (say 60 miles per day camping or long distance walk (15 miles per day camping) over a fortnight or so?

I think they've already lost the plot even before setting off. The trick really is to work out how you're going to lose weight and not be tempted by all that food. That way, you'll see the food coming: loads of it. We're surrounded by food and, despite the absurd claims of the GM lobby, the world is full of it. Your mates have already decided that food is expensive and difficult to get hold of so they're probably going to find that food is expensive and difficult to get hold of . . .

My recommendation is that they let the food find them rather than they having to find the food. Hunger has an extraordinary way of divulging to us the information we need to find the food that's out there. They should try it.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Oats and water. There's no fun in it though.

On the other hand, in France, yesterday's baguette and supermarket nutella (in lightweight plastic tube, not glassware) is magnificent, cheap and - at 60 mpd - the weight falls off you.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Vorpal wrote:I have, on many occasions, stopped to pick up stuff dropped from harvest vehicles. I used to cycle through an area with several cabbage farms. At harvest time, they'd be scattered on the road. I felt entirely justified in collecting as many of these hazards as I could get onto my bike. One year I managed 4 cabbages; one in each pannier and two on my rack, held by a bungie net. It may not sound like much of a feat, but they were about nine inches in diameter and heavy, as well. The looks I got, cycling home with my cabbages...

Brilliant. On returning to my jury service stint after lunch one day in Bristol, cabbage under-arm, I was hauled to one side while my Savoy from the market got 'searched'. What is it about brassicas? Just ask my 5 year old. Cabbage makes anyone smile[emoji4]
Manalishi

Post by Manalishi »

Here's an interesting book on cycle touring cookery: http://bikecampcook.com