First tour, how much time would I need for this...

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
spearmint wino

First tour, how much time would I need for this...

Post by spearmint wino »

I've had the seed for doing a short tour planted for quite some time now. The Scottish islands always appealed and a friend moved to Mull today so now I have even more reason to go. Trouble is I have to balance time away with also having a young family, so can't disappear for long.

Using the Cicerone guide I've hatched a very rough plan along the lines of train to Ardrossan (have another friend who lives nearby), crossing to Arran, then Islay for a day and some distilleries, then up to Mull for a couple of days before train back from Oban.

I love cycling / being on the bike so the stopping for leisurely sightseeing bit I can forego on this occasion, just being up there on the bike is enough.

Does this itinerary sound do-able in less than a week? Is there a direct ferry from Islay to Mull or do I have to go via Oban?
eileithyia

Re: First tour, how much time would I need for this...

Post by eileithyia »

https://www.calmac.co.uk/kennacraig-por ... -timetable

You might have to look and plan around your ferries, this in turn may affect time taken.
I know we used the Kennacraig Ferry on a Weds so we could take in Colonsay (for 6 hours) while the ferry went to Oban then returned to Colonsay, then we stopped over on Islay for a couple of days.

but all the timetables are on the ferry link
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
spearmint wino

Re: First tour, how much time would I need for this...

Post by spearmint wino »

Thanks a lot, will continue my investigations there 8)