English Channel to the Med' 2016

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
simon_m

English Channel to the Med' 2016

Post by simon_m »

Hi there, I have posted this request on several forums now btw.

I have been planning to cycle the length of France next year with friends for about eight months now. Unfortunately a couple have had to drop out due to a wedding next year now! Groan, (plus there are a couple of flakey ones who I am sure will back out). So, there are a 4 places, possibly 6 at a push available.

This is not a business but a private jaunt, a non money making trip. I would rather have kept it just friends and people I know, but to keep the shared costs low, I feel I have to open it up now. Here the basics.

Van supported, so all bags, tents etc are taken to the end of that days stage.
3 weeks starting Friday 1st of July with the ferry crossing to Caen, finishing in Cassis on Saturday 23rd July, flying home on the Sunday while the van drives back with the bikes and bags in
2 rest days
A mixture of camping and hotels, the majority I have made contact with, some i can book shortly, but most next year.
Still fine tuning the last weeks route and accommodation

Rough Costs pp:
£1932 for train to ferry, ferry with cabin, day to day food and evening dinner, accommodation, flight home.
THEN
the driver has the same costs plus the hire of the van, petrol etc. this will then be divided up between the riders, this is all comes to £4518 and is divided between the amount of cyclists in the group. Say 7 riders, that is £645 each rider, so that plus your £1932 = £2577. Then spending money for tourist tat. The very maximum should be £3000 but I am thinking around £2500 It does look a lot when it is in print. All the info is on my webpage.
(cheaper for couples because of booked rooms, ferry cabins etc) If I get more riders, then that shared cost comes down!!

I have done loads of research, we get to see Le tour during the first 3days, produced garmin/google earth maps in detail, with lots of info on them. Basically everything is done for you, all you have to do is to enjoy each days ride. I know a lot of people like the challenge of cycling with all their own kit, so this trip is defo not for you. But if you want to enjoy the feel of your bike each day while cycling though some amazing countryside, through vineyards, chateaus in the Loire and up Ventoux, then this is perfect for you.

Day 01 - 66.9miles - Camp
Day 02 - 55.1miles - Camp
Day 03 - 53.8miles - Camp
Day 04 - 39.3miles - Camp
Day 05 - 55.7miles - Camp
Day 06 - 47.4miles - Camp
Day 07 - 79.8miles - Hotel
Day 08 - DAY OFF - Hotel
Day 09 - 33.9miles - Camp
Day 10 - 28.3miles - Camp
Day 11 - 47.2miles - Hotel
Day 12 - 59.6miles - Hotel
Day 13 - 72.9miles - Camp
Day 14 - 37.1miles - Camp or Hotel
DAY 15 - DAY OFF - Camp or Hotel
Day 16 - 60.0miles - Camp
Day 17 - 52.6miles - Hotel - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)
Day 18 - 75miles - Camp - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)
Day 19 - 40miles - Camp - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)
Day 20 - 52.4miles - Camp - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)
Day 21 - 44.3miles - Camp - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)
Day 22 - 45.8miles - Camp - (route to be fine tuned as is accommodation)