Tents without groundsheet

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dandru

Re: Tents without groundsheet

Post by dandru »

horizon

Post by horizon »

I have an amazingly lightweight tent, only 50g (that's actually the label). When I bought it, the salesman completely convinced me (though I heard another customer muttering something about Emperor's clothes, whatever that is).

In addition however I carry a groundsheet (1 kg) for cold, bumpy ground, a tarp (1 kg) to go above the tent (this keeps off the rain) and a mesh for insects (.5 kg). I use a four season sleeping bag (2.5 kg) as the tent doesn't provide much insulation from the cold. Naturally I don't mind carrying these extras as the tent itself is so light.

The tent really is quite amazing: it doesn't require pegs or guylines (more weight saving) and is very quick to put up. I'm even thinking about cutting the label off to save further weight (though it does contain the fire hazard warnings). All in all, a great buy for £499.00 - you won't get a lighter tent for the money.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
whoof

Post by whoof »

When I bought a Terra Nova Voyager it was suggested buy the sales person that I might also buy a 'footprint' to go with it. I declined the offer as I could have just bought a cheaper heavier tent.
The tent is now 12 years old and I've just back from two weeks camping in France never any trouble with the floor. I always pick a suitable spot to pitch and give the ground the once over and remove any stones, twigs, bottle caps etc before pitching the tent.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Footprints well and truly divide us... I think they're simply a scandalous opportunity to sell us a sheet of fabric at a truly outrageous markup, by the artful craft of branding; others swear by them and defend their usefulness to the hilt. But the logic of going to some trouble and expense of buying a tent of a certain weight, where, usually, less-is-more and then paying extra to add a not insignificant percentage back on to that carefully thought-out weight is a psychiatrist's dream-come-true... Go Figure, as they say, over the pond.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I used to anti-footprint but the further away from home the more I was wild camping - foot print (home base tarp cut to size with bungy on corners) allowed me to put tent down in places I would not previously considered - also if the weather was very good It was a cleanish spot just to get my mat and bag out and sleep under the stars sans tent - in general used with the tent the floor was more comfortable and pitching in the wet the inner stays dry
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Give me an old force ten groundsheet any time they were probably about 1kg by themselves ;)

But, yeah, I wouldn't buy a tent if I didn't have faith in the groundsheet. The idea of buying an extra groundsheet to make up for the deficiency of the one supplied does not appeal. Maybe it might make sense for ultra-lightweight types who coincidentally always knew exactly what surface they would be pitching on before they set off, but that ain't me. In general I put durability before light weight on most of my purchases. I don't have the money to be buying and replacing high performance kit every few years because it has worn out. Then again I am a hobbyist, not a serious adventurer going on big expeditions.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I just use thick poly sheeting foot print - cheap. Inside I use a cheap tent carpet - got from Ebay fo ra few £s.
molzor

Post by molzor »

i think im going to take the lets not get too precious about it approach and go without, but just take some care. at £70 its the most ive ever spent on a tent but its not exactly a 50g £500 one. Id want a hotel for £500!

this is the trouble with buying expensive gear, when i first bought my tourer, i had trouble taking it touring because i thought it was too beautiful and might get scratched! but youve just got to bite the bullet and use it! thats what its designed for!