Tents without groundsheet

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
molzor

Tents without groundsheet

Post by molzor »

i bought a lovely new tent recently in the excitement of it being 1 man and super lightweight. however i have now realised that probably the reason it is so lightweight is because it only has a thin material for the base of the tent. where as my old one had a nice strong tarp type material...

I am wondering if now i need to take a groundsheet to protect this layer and keep me dry? has anyone else had this experience and what would you suggest?
the idea of taking an extra groundsheet is annoying me, this was meant to save space!
khain

Re: Tents without groundsheet

Post by khain »

What sort of tent is it?

Tarp style bottoms are usually less durable than the lighter nylon ones found on good tents, which are much tougher than they feel.

You can sometimes get lightweight tarps in Poundland to use as a groundsheet. A foam mat also works.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Don't fret, modern tents do have thin ground sheets.

If you are camping on soft ground and grass then no problem, if its going to be rocky then some take a foot print which is just a piece of heavier tarp. These can be £30 - 40, but all you need is some cheap tarp from your car accessory shop or camping shop, the really cheap plastic incapsulated woven stuff found on cheap tents is the stuff and is unrippable , till the sun gets it. Less than 100 grams a square metre.

What tent :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

What are you camping on? If it's a field of grass with no obvious stones it doesn't really matter, if it's shingle beaches or boulder fields it does.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
molzor

Post by molzor »

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/north-ridge ... nt-p287260 this is what i bought, id liked the side on design and the little porch for your bags...

reassuring to hear that these are tougher than you might think. but i still have concerns about waterproofing? surely if the ground is wet when you pitch it then the whole floor will be

id imagine id be camping on grass mostly, but some days who knows where you might end up!
khain

Post by khain »

Looks like a good tent? What's the space inside like? Can you sit up without touching the roof?

The groundsheet should be very waterproof. If it lets in any water at all I'd send it back. The tarp style groundsheets are completely waterproof but don't breath so moisture can't escape underneath you. Nylon floors usually stay dry better and don't puncture so easily. It's like a Goretex jacket versus a rubber mac. Watch you don't get DEET on it though as that can melt it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Its not that lightweight a tent.
Mine is similar at 1.5 kgs.
Get yourself some cheap tarp from poundland etc, cut it to size and include the porch too.
When your confident you can just cut a piece to do the porch and still stay lightweight.
molzor

Post by molzor »

thanks for the info! well now i know it is waterproof i am very pleased with the purchase. you can sit up in ok, and i thought itd be good for hot weather too as you can just leave the net, with the whole side of you nicely getting aired.

I might just buy a cheap piece of tarp just to protect the bottom anyway.

i thought it was pretty lightweight. ive only ever used £10 tesco tents til now. and to be fair theyve served me well.

sometimes i just scrap the tent completely and bivvy or hammock
ossie

Post by ossie »

If you want to protect your tent and want super lightweight, use some window insulation kit...polycryo or similar

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Windows-/4579 ... it&_sop=15.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
If......IF.... IF.. I need to kip down on the grass for a while then I have 40 - 60 - 80 grams plastic bags...bin liner split open might do..............cling film.......na................ :?
ossie

Post by ossie »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
If......IF.... IF.. I need to kip down on the grass for a while then I have 40 - 60 - 80 grams plastic bags...bin liner split open might do..............cling film.......na................ :?

perhaps do some research ? often used, extremely durable / strong and an alternative to bulky / heavy poundland tarp type stuff..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=64936
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I'm trying one of these this summer.. About the same weight (1.5kgs) with the inner tent or around a kilo with just the fly.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I've thought about a sheet of DPC but that's quite a bit heavier. Just I've got loads of it...b
hamster

Post by hamster »

Buy a poly survival bag for £3 and use that.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
ossie wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

perhaps do some research ? often used, extremely durable / strong and an alternative to bulky / heavy poundland tarp type stuff..

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=64936

All the suggestions are a water barrier you can use anything, the cheap rather light and very indestructible IIRC PVC encapsulated woven polythene is foldable and very reusable as you would expect.

I have several split open plastic bags I use on my 24 hr rides to keep the damp off me on the grass verge, I even tape over the holes :)

If I had some to hand I might use the window stuff.