Breathable ladies cycle jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
alimck

Breathable cycle jacket

Post by alimck »

Can anyone recommend a good jacket? Full zip front, windproof, showerproof with a little warmth -- but most of all, really breathable? I have a Gore Bike Wear Gortex one which is fine, but I'd like one in a slightly 'cosier' fabric. I've tried cheap ones which claim to be 'breathable' but aren't, (must sweat a lot I suppose) so get clammy inside. I'd be prepared to pay if I knew it was really going to work. Any ideas?
el flaco

Re: Breathable cycle jacket

Post by el flaco »

I had a dressmaker make me a yellow ventile jacket. Made to measure with no pockets. Full length zip, no lining. Best thing I've ever done re bikes.
khain

Post by khain »

A Paramo jackets sounds like it would suit you pretty well. They're very breathable and quite warm. Not the lightest or cheapest though.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I use Gore in the summer and an Endurra Stealth in the winter. Its expensive but worth the money. It has a warm lining otherwise I would use it all year. As close to 100% waterproof as you will get with venting zips which work very well
pjclinch

Re: Breathable ladies cycle jacket

Post by pjclinch »

If you want a bit warmer and more breathable than Goretex you could do a lot worse than Paramo stuff. They're doing stuff aimed at bikes now, and have heard of ladies too!
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
alimck

Post by alimck »

pjclinch wrote:If you want a bit warmer and more breathable than Goretex you could do a lot worse than Paramo stuff. They're doing stuff aimed at bikes now, and have heard of ladies too!

Thanks -- I've had a look at Paramo but they all seem to have hoods and I couldn't find any aimed at bikes. Do you know of a model name?
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Paramo are the most breathable rainproof jackets available, being pretty much proof against condensation. Also, damage can just be sewn up without affecting the rainproofness.
On the negative side, they are relatively bulky when not being worn, and many people (me included) find them too warm outside of the middle of winter. You also need to look after them (i.e. keep clean, reproof occasionally).
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

alimck wrote:
Thanks -- I've had a look at Paramo but they all seem to have hoods and I couldn't find any aimed at bikes. Do you know of a model name?

Having had a look at the range my suggestion was not as useful as I'd initially thought... they used to do more with detachable hoods (like my wife's Velez that she sometimes tours in) but that seems to have gone these days, and the Ciclo cycle-specific one is a chap's. Hey ho.

But before we abandon hope on this front there is the bespoke option from the likes of Cioch Direct (http://www.cioch-direct.co.uk/) who use Paramo's waterproofing system and since it's made to order will fit you perfectly and you can just have them leave off the hood, or make it detachable (which means you've then got a raincoat which is more useful off the bike). And you can also specify stuff like a longer drop tail.

On the whole I'd advise against warm waterproofs: you can just add another layer under a plain shell and it's warmer, and it doesn't compromise its use when the weather's nice. Paramo is a bit different because the warmth is a side effect of the "pump liner" that keeps you dry, but you do get a substantially more breathable garment using this system than a conventional waterproof.

Finally, don't completely rule out existing Paramo range stuff. The Quito is at least "unisex" (with Paramo that's not apparently a mis-spelling of "men's") and while it has a hood it's easy enough to roll it down out of the way and it's "multi-activity" with a bit of cycling DNA in there. http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYLIGHTJACKETQUITOUNISEX for details, including a wee video featuring cycling in one.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pwa

Post by pwa »

All jackets used for cycling will get clammy if you are working hard, no matter how breathable they are. Don't get your hopes up too high on that front. I find that venting works better than high spec breathable membrane, though it is nice to have both in one garment.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

depending on your budget and given you said shower proof - rapha do the wind jacket and I am pretty sure that castelli do something similar as well.

found this as well

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/140 ... ts-10-best