USA Coast to Coast

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mike777

USA Coast to Coast

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

Just looking at the USA Coast to Coast.... Seen 2 routes of interest route 66 and trans American trail.

Does anyone know the types of roads these routes follow in terms of avoiding main roads

Regards

Mikr
shane

Re: USA Coast to Coast

Post by shane »

I certainly wouldn't recommend route 66 as its popular with car and motorbike tourists going coast to coast or doing parts of it.

My thoughts are here >>> http://www.shanecycles.com/cycling-across-america-info/

Have fun, America is great :)
irc

Post by irc »

The Adventure Cycling maps are pretty good at avoiding busy roads. They use back roads as far as possible. If busy roads are used for short sections there is usually a good shoulder. They are also good for local info - camping, shops, libraries (for wifi), etc. If you are using their maps that's all you need.

Route 66 wouldn't be my first choice. It goes through more big cities than other routes. Less choices for times as well. You really don't want to be in the Mojavie desert in the summer. ACA suggest a mid April start.

Outside big cities there is plenty scope for choosing your own routes. Many roads have shoulders and there are low traffic roads everywhere.

Consider the big rail trails as well. Washington DC to Pittsburgh PA can be done traffic free on the C&O canal towpath and the GAP Trail. The Katy Trail crosses most of Missouri.

Crazyguyonabike is the place to research USA coast to coasts though. Hundreds of coast to coast stories.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cat ... pe=journal
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

I have done the southern Adventure Cyling route from St Augustine to San Diego. There were a couple of stretches where you are directed onto Interstates as these are the only passable roads over the mountains. Most of the route was on quiet country roads using back roads through major cities. As has already been said their maps tell you all you need to know about supplies, places to stay, elevation, etc.
Took me 8 weeks to cover the 3000 miles on a recumbent trike averaging 60 miles a day. I travelled East to West although most cyclists seem to go the other way because there is this view that the prevailing weather is from the west; that's true but the winds on the road are another matter! There were two advantages of travelling in that direction - by the time I got to the mountains I was reasonably fit, and I met a good number of cyclists going the other way!
Fantastic experience and well worth it. Good luck with the planning and the trip.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

DGG1941 wrote:... There were a couple of stretches where you are directed onto Interstates as these are the only passable roads over the mountains. ...

What is riding on the interstates like? Sounds rather "unpleasant", but that is a guess.

Ian
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:
DGG1941 wrote:... There were a couple of stretches where you are directed onto Interstates as these are the only passable roads over the mountains. ...

What is riding on the interstates like? Sounds rather "unpleasant", but that is a guess.

Ian

In the west many freeways carry very little traffic. Often less traffic on a 4 lane + 2 shoulder freeway than the two lane A82 Loch Lomond Rd. I'd take a quiet freeway any day.

Not all freeways allow cyclist but the ones in the rural west usually do. This one is in Texas close to a El Paso - a decent sized city. Still pleasant to ride on and little traffic. This pic was around mid-day. Even has the shoulder marked as a bike lane.

bikelane.jpg

Another west Texas freeway

k-freewayquiet.jpg
DGG1941

Post by DGG1941 »

The only nervous-making moments were on a stretch of road that had two way traffic due to repair work on the other carriageway. But the rest of the time the hard shoulder was wide enough to feel safe. In fact I only had one occasion when a vehicle was a little too close for comfort. Even the young man who gave me "the bird" out of his car window gave me a wide birth.
And as an aside, the 1000 miles through Texas provided some of the most interesting conversations and hospitality of the whole trip.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
shazie

Post by shazie »

irc wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
DGG1941 wrote:new york tours.. There were a couple of stretches where you are directed onto Interstates as these are the only passable roads over the mountains. ...

Ian

In the west many freeways carry very little traffic for Manhattan Tours . Often less traffic on a 4 lane + 2 shoulder freeway than the two lane A82 Loch Lomond Rd. I'd take a quiet freeway any day.

Not all freeways allow cyclist but the ones in the rural west usually do. This one is in Texas close to a El Paso - a decent sized city. Still pleasant to ride on and little traffic. This pic was around mid-day. Even has the shoulder marked as a bike lane.

bikelane.jpg

Another west Texas freeway

k-freewayquiet.jpg

seems to be a very clean , but is this a all story ? :idea: yah i agree with other member who is saying to use apps , better way to find the less busy roads
Last edited by shazie on 8 Jul 2015, 8:42am, edited 1 time in total.
simon_m

Post by simon_m »

Hi there, I did the TransAm with Adventure Cycling, the guys who make the maps, as an organised van supported ride. What would you like to know?

http://www.webm8.co.uk/riddler/trans-am-2012.html
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've done the ACA TransAm and Northern Tier both E-W, the Sierra Cascade route from Canada to Mexico and I've just finished the Great Parks North route from Jasper AL to MIssoula MT then the Lewis and Clark route to Portland OR. The latter involve a fair chunk of freeway along the Columbia river

On the whole Adventure Cycling takes you on quiet roads. On the few occasions a road has no shoulder (most US roads have them except in Mississippi) the ACA guide will tell you about it. Riding on freeways isn't too bad though the shoulders tend to collect a lot of debris and they can be NOISY, a lot of the time it's like having an 8ft bike lane all to yourself. I rode about 100 miles of the GAP in Pennsylvania, I found it overrated: it's a crushed gravel surface that clogs your mudguards something awful and the views are not much. I should imagine in dry weather it gets dusty but it is traffic free.

Route 66 is not really riding across the US because it starts in Chicago though I fancy doing it myself. I believe the new ACA version of this route will be up to their usual high standards and steer you clear of misery.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West