Travelling to Sylt

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Travelling to Sylt

Post by foxyrider »

Has anyone experience of travelling from mainland Germany across to Sylt?

I've checked the Sylt rail link page and that apparently doesn't carry bikes and i can't see any option on standard trains for Sylt. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JMaude

Re: Travelling to Sylt

Post by JMaude »

Researched this earlier in the year and it is possible take a bike on a train to Sylt, although they encourage you to do so out of peak hours. I think I thought Neibull was going to be a good point to catch the train.

http://www.nob.de/reisen/sylt-mit-dem-fahrrad-entdecken

Who would not take advantage of the offer, may take his bike on the train. We recommend this to plan the trip as a result of low capacity, that they are not in the rush hour falls (6-9 clock morning and afternoon 16-18 clock). We also ask for your understanding that wheelchair users and prams with babies have priority over bicycles. For the transportation of bicycles, a bicycle day ticket is (4,00 Euro) is required.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cheers - i was thinking Niebull too as i'll be coming from Amrun/Fohr that day
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Cycling Cat

Post by Cycling Cat »

Please would anyone like to explain the attraction of Sylt?

There are much more attractive islands connected by ferries who are willing to take bikes.

My memories of Sylt include grumpy hostel staff, having to hitch hike and being able to swim in my birthday costume and no one batting an eye.

Have a good tour! Lucky people!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cycling Cat wrote:Please would anyone like to explain the attraction of Sylt?

There are much more attractive islands connected by ferries who are willing to take bikes.

My memories of Sylt include grumpy hostel staff, having to hitch hike and being able to swim in my birthday costume and no one batting an eye.

Have a good tour! Lucky people!

i'm actually doing about 10 islands up the Friesian coast. The attraction to Sylt for me is some archaeology i want to visit and also to visit the northernmost point of Germany! :)