Canal du Midi?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Canal du Midi?

Post by nirakaro »

Back end of August, she and I taking the EBE to Narbonne for a couple of weeks, and I fancy doing a bit of background reading. Any suggestions?
Goosey

Re: Canal du Midi?

Post by Goosey »

Pugwash

Post by Pugwash »

Hi,

I am planning to do the Canal Du Midi a bit later in the year, but am planning to hire a bike as it will be easier than taking ours on the plane.

Has anyone used any of the Cycle Hire Providers ?, if it comes to it, I can take a bike, but would prefer to hire if there is a decent place locally.

Rgds

Alex.
neilob

Post by neilob »

Canal du Midi is a lovely ride....nothing too strenuous with loads of places to stop while you watch the world go by. The only advice I want to offer is to keep an eye on the surface if you ride the actual canal tow path. It has lots of tree roots which can catch you out and have you in the water if you aren't careful! This is especially true between Caracassone and Beziers. But it really is a great ride so be aware not deterred.
Using a car to take an adult on a three mile journey is the same as using an atomic bomb to kill a canary.
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Pugwash wrote:Hi,

I am planning to do the Canal Du Midi a bit later in the year, but am planning to hire a bike as it will be easier than taking ours on the plane.

Has anyone used any of the Cycle Hire Providers ?, if it comes to it, I can take a bike, but would prefer to hire if there is a decent place locally.

Rgds

Alex.

Where are you starting from? If you are starting from the Narbonne area then I'd recommend Phil at Mellow Velos http://www.mellowvelos.com/index.html

They also offer to deliver bikes to you if you'd like.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

May be something of use in the comments here:

http://cycleseven.org/cycling-canal-du-midi