Brookes Cambium Saddle

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Phil66

Brookes Cambium Saddle

Post by Phil66 »

Morning folks,

Just wondering if anybody is using the Brooks Cambium saddle. I’m a fan of the B17 so was thinking I’d get another one of those for the new bike, but then the guy in the shop showed me the Cambium, looks like a great idea. The only problem I had with the B17 was it going out shape when I rode all day through a storm in Thailand, but the Cambium is rubber, so problem solved regarding wet weather. But are they any good?
georgew

Re: Brookes Cambium Saddle

Post by georgew »

Had one and sold it on as I didn't like the look of it and thought that the rubber compound wouldn't be suitable for hot, sweaty summer days.

They are very expensive for what they are and I much prefer the Spa cycles range of leather saddles which represent real value for money.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I had a Brooks which, in rainy weather, I rode with the Brooks nylon rain cover in place. It felt fine in padded shorts and avoided the worry of what long periods of rain might do to the leather.

The Cambium saddles are made in Italy, not by Brooks, and are a different product altogether. As far as I am aware they do not mould to your shape in the traditional Brooks way, so the sensation you get when you first ride one is the sensation you will always get, as with most saddles. Some people like them a lot, others ditch them after the first ride. Just like most other saddles.
22camels

Post by 22camels »

I went through a number of rain covers during my one year with a Brooks, including the official Brooks rain cover. All of them worked fine for covering the seat when you're off the bike, but all of them wore out fast after I rode on them.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(Note: Mine is a Cambium C15 NOT the 17). I can't offer much help (or comparison) but I sort of like mine (enough that it's stayed on the bike for 2000+ miles. Prior to that (and my only other experience of saddles) was http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/components-hardware/saddles/prime-road-men-s-saddle-brown/ which I got used to (and is slightly padded). When I switched to the C15 my bum suffered 'cos it was much harder. Bruised and tender and I just could not get through that. What I suspect happened was it got bruised and then continued riding just kept "topping-up" the bruising - so I never got better. Then I got some better padded shorts (better padding) and just happened to spend a few weeks without riding and now I'm pretty well fine (in that I ride without thinking about my bum and if I should change saddles back). So in my inexperienced opinion "hard and stay hard" (though others might rate them differently).

I've not noticed any issues with it getting sweaty (always dry when I arrive home, even when my back isn't) - but we've not had much weather that would cause that yet this year.

Before I got mine I did see some personal reviews about bad wear on shorts. I've used mine 2k+ miles with mostly the same lycra shorts and no signs of wear on the shorts (or saddle).

I changed because the previous saddle was showing signs of wear (after only 6k miles) and I wanted something that would last (or at least I'd be able to replace it with the same again - Brooks do seem to keep things in production whereas many manufacturers keep re-juvinating/re-designing/etc.). And I did not like the idea of collecting saddles to find one that was OK, only to have to repeat the process a year or two later, etc. Find one that will be around for a decent time, get used to it and forget about it.

So I like mine (I think they look good as well - but that is very personal taste).

Sorry I can't give comparisons to other more common saddles but I just don't have the experience.

Ian
darkvalley

Post by darkvalley »

I have both a b17 saddle (narrow imperial)and a cambrium 17. I originally got the b17 after trying about 5 or 6 different saddles and it was the first that was comfortable for me. I have done 200km plus rides on it in complete comfort. When getting a second bike I went for the cambrium as I liked the look of it, the lack of maintenance and had read that it was basically the same shape as the b17. I've had it about 4 months now and had been delighted with it as very comfortable on any spins done so far, the longest being a 120km spin 3 weeks ago.
However on saturday last I done a 200km spin and my sit bone are still sore from it. Problem started about 100km into the spin and I was very sore at the finish. I'm not sure what to make of this and what to do now. I'll probably try one more long spin with it in the hope that it was just one on those unexplained things that happens!! and if there is a problem I'll sell it and get another b17.
Also the rivets came loose on the saddle. I found this out when the one at the point of the saddle was missing after a spin. All the others were loose. It is just the turn of an allen key to tighten them. except the one at the point which is covered by rails underneath and the saddle has to be taken apart to tighten. Brooks supply spares on their website, so presumably this is not an unknown problem.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Can't get on with any Brooks saddles - I find myself either sliding forwards so that my sit-bones drop down either side of the forrad end, causing instant distress to my anatomy, or else I'm sitting right over the steel armature, which has about as much chance of moulding itself to my posterior as Nick Clegg has of forming a government.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
letelemarker

Post by letelemarker »

Its expensive but I really rate this saddle

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sell ... lsrc=aw.ds

Its the best I have ever used, I always use some of this stuff as well

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/udderly-smooth-chamois-cream/
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Covers on Brooks leather for the rain...

Don't see the point. I've never bothered, the rider sat on them will keep most of the clag off. I've been riding Brooks saddles for about 20 years now and with a bit of Proofide every once in a while (annually?) and a tension tweak (maybe every 5 years?) they're doing fine.

I do use a cheap freebie cover when it's parked in the rain, but that's just so I don't have to get on to a wet saddle.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bum = rain cover when riding, plastic bag when not. Although I try not to leave it in the rain unless no other option.
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I'm fine on a C17 for 100km. After 100km it starts to get increasingly uncomfortable. Tweaking the angle helps but does not remove the problem. I have done 300km rides but I was very uncomfortable at the end. I'm around 105kg and think that the rubber isn't flexible enough.
Phil66

Post by Phil66 »

Thanks folks for all your replies, some really good info. I think I'll go with the saddle that comes with the bike and see how it goes, but suspect I'll swap it for a B17.

Thanks again everyone.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Maybe too late for the OP but I'll post my experiences here for posterity.
I ride with very minimal padding in my shorts. When I first put a B17 on my bike put it in what looked like the same position as my original saddle and that was it. Comfortable from the off even for long multi-day rides. Got a C17 for my commuter (was going to get left in the wet a lot), tried the same thing and I really struggled, pain in all sorts of places. Persevered with it, adjusting the position and now I think I've got it and it's a great saddle. No problem with clothes wear, sweatiness or anything like that. Most I've done on it is about 50miles so can't comment on long distances but I don't even notice it now.
Of course I may just have been lucky with the B17 but my guess is the cambium just needs a bit more tweaking to get it to work
Aunty Social

Post by Aunty Social »

I just did Dieppe-Cognac-Dieppe on a 3 month old C17. 1300km in 6 days and loved the saddle. I have gone through 2 Pros and had a B17 regular and narrow of which neither suited that well. I reckon it's about the same as a Regal in shape but my old Regal skinned me in the heat last year in Champagne. This year was hot, cold, wet, sweaty, between 8 and 10 1/2 hours in saddle days. Couldn't have asked for a better perch. Try one.