Locks for touring

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bobzeller

Locks for touring

Post by bobzeller »

I am off to France for more touring. But this time, I'll have to leave my bike unattended for longish periods of time when visiting Normandy museums and the like. I have two heavy duty locks, a Kryptonite and an Abus. Both were used with with my commuter bike while I was living in London. But as good as they are, they are very heavy. Has anyone any ideas about a lock that is relatively light that isn't for use in high crime areas?

Many thanks

Bob Zeller
Chat Noir

Re: Locks for touring

Post by Chat Noir »

There isn't a right answer to this perennial question.

On my last 3 trips abroad (Italy, Spain and France/Italy) I took only café locks and never an issue - old steel bike, touring gear, unattractive to thieves. However, I wasn't stopping in towns and going in museums, etc. For recent long ride in UK got a Kryptonite Lite Mini 6, 747g, looks like any other Kryptonite lock but is the lightest they do and slightly smaller, which has it's own advantages for carrying, and it does do the business and looks it like it will do the business, ie deter many potential thieves. Tight to get around a fixture and wheel and frame but it will do. Actually carried it in bar bag and now my lock of choice for going into town with decent cable to go round front wheel. If I need a decent quality lock this is what I will take.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think only you can answer the question what peace of mind costs?
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

bobzeller wrote:Has anyone any ideas about a lock that is relatively light that isn't for use in high crime areas?

Lots of these available in local bike shop. Online too.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I would take a heavy lock.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Thanks to all for the advice about my need to change from a cafe lock for touring to something more substantial because there will be more city centre cycling. I have decided to go with one of the locks I have already. It's an Abus cable lock. I don't know what model itis but I bought it for London use so I imagine I would have chosen a Gold rating at the time. That might be more than I need for this tour, but It is about 900gms which seems to be the weight of many, including the Kryptonite Mini that was recommended. It just seems that if the weight is about the same, a cable lock will give me more city centre locking options than a D lock. As well, I now have another excuse (my knees are the current one) for my slow speed.

Bob