Holyhead to Devon

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
cc1085

Holyhead to Devon

Post by cc1085 »

Hi All,
I will be travelling on the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then to Devon to visit my Daughter and Son-in-Law. If anyone on here has suggestions for routes and stopovers please please reply with any info. I don't have any set dates or timetable.
Thanks
james01

Re: Holyhead to Devon

Post by james01 »

The simplest way as far as Chepstow (the lowest crossing point of the Bristol Channel) is to use NCN8 from Holyhead to Hay on Wye, then branch off onto NCN42. The Sustrans website has full mapping. I've cycled NCN8 right through to Cardiff. It's mostly on quiet roads through a variety of pleasant country with a few well-surfaced off-road sections. I camped, but I researched on the internet a list of Bed & Breakfasts in case of bad weather. I always stayed near a town to ensure availability of pubs for evening meals.
I've never cycled the Bristol/Somerset /Devon routes, but looking at the map there seems to be a choice of Sustrans routes from the M48 bridge at Chepstow leading into Devon.
Incidentally, it's worth noting that Sustrans routes are not always ideal for the long-distance cyclist trying to cover high mileages. I found myself taking short-cuts in order to avoid some of their more picturesque diversions, so don't slavishly follow their prescribed route if you can see a better one.
dakari-mane

Post by dakari-mane »

Hi, I've just done Holyhead - Bristol - London.

NCN 8 is the one you want for most of the way I left it at one point as I wanted to go to aberystwyth then forsook it at Hay on Wye as I wanted to go more east & not towards cardiff. The cycleroutes do like to climb (a lot!).

I wild camped the first night out of Holyhead near Cricceth so cannot help with a where to stay for that night. From Dolgellau over to Corris are brutal climbs but worth the view. Braich Goch hostel in Corris was lovely on night 2.

The cycle route running along the Ystwyth coming out of Aberystwyth is again beautiful & follows an abandoned railway. That cycleroute leads in a round about way up the Cambrian Mountains via the Ystwyth to a campsite called Tyllwyd then down into the Elan Valley which is stunning.

Um then some hills, paincastle, hay on wye (a busy camp-site as the book festival was on).

Symonds yat & the YHA at Wye Valley was nice (had beer available).

Then it was down the Wye valley & over a big bridge into Bristol, where I stayed with friends & that's as much as I can help with.

Rough route:
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I will echo the NCN 8. I will be riding it myself in about a month, but am finishing in Cardiff and not Chepstow. I don't know what your planned daily mileage is or what sort of lodgings you are planning on using, but I am doing the B&B thing.

My planned stops are Bangor - Harlech - Machynlleth - Rhayader - Brecon - Cardiff. Hopefully that can give you some ideas.
james01

Post by james01 »

cc1085 wrote:Hi All,
I will be travelling on the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and then to Devon to visit my Daughter and Son-in-Law. If anyone on here has suggestions for routes and stopovers please please reply with any info. I don't have any set dates or timetable.
Thanks

This is probably far too late for you but could be useful for others in future: the brochure of M.V. Balmoral , which does assorted day-trips from various ports in S.Wales to North Devon & Somerset specifically states that they will do special single fares for cyclists. Timetable: http://www.whitefunnel.co.uk/c-24-bristol-channel.aspx
whoof

Post by whoof »

If you search on here (and google) for Lon Las Cymru it will give details on the route across Wales from Holyhead to either Cardiff or Chepstow. Did Bristol (viaC hepstow)to Holyhead last year and it's a very nice ride. Lumpy in places but mostly very quiet in terms of traffic. With reference to places to stay what type of thing were you looking for? I stayed in B and B's or small hotels in Holyhead, Caernofon, Barmouth, Machynlleth, Newbridge on Wye and a hostel in Abergavenny. If that's the type of thing your after I'll dig out the details.

From Chepstow it's a short ride over the Severn Bridge and I would then suggest you head for Olverston, Pilning, Easton Compton and Halen rather than following the A403 to Avonmouth. You can get from Hallen to South of Bristol by going over the M5 bridge (on cycle path). If you use this link, just tried Hallen to Easton in Gordino it shows the way.

http://cycle.travel/map

I've also ridden Bristol to West Cornwall via Exeter, which bit of Devon did you want to get to?