Transport to South France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
maxglide

Transport to South France

Post by maxglide »

Assuming a ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg/Le Havre, what's the easiest way down to Narbonne (ish) with the bike as luggage?

1. Train to Paris then change for a train south.
2. Coach.
3. Ferry to Bilbao (same price as Bike Express 'Med route' one way) then 120k to border.
jamesgilbert

Re: Transport to South France

Post by jamesgilbert »

Is the bike being taken as a bike, or packed into a bag smaller than 90cm x 120cm?
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

If it is in a bag, you can take it on the TGV from Paris to Narbonne in 4.5 hours, but that line doesn't accept unpacked bikes. There is an occasional Intercity train from Paris to Narbonne that will accept bikes for a 10 euro fee, but is much longer at 8 hours - check out https://www.capitainetrain.com for times.

Le Havre to Paris is no problem, it takes 2 hours on a regional TER train and bikes are free, with no need to book.

I don't understand your 3rd option, Bilbao to Narbonne is a lot further than 120km :?:
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

I don't understand your 3rd option, Bilbao to Narbonne is a lot further than 120km

Bilbao to French border - (then track NE or E, to link up with route N from Narbonne).

Is the bike being taken as a bike, or packed into a bag smaller than 90cm x 120cm?

Hopefully, as a bike. The dismantling thing I'd prefer to avoid. If there's an Intercity from Paris to Narbonne, I can wheel her onto the train like the UK (10 euro) as you mention (?)
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

Yes, you just wheel the bike on, but it must be booked in advance on this type of intercity - it costs 10 euros whatever the length of the journey.

If booked on https://www.capitainetrain.com just tick the bike option and you're good to go. You'll get a booking reference that you use to retrieve the ticket in any train station, no need for the credit card.

There is only one Paris-Narbonne intercity per day, and there's also a night train that accepts bikes, again for 10 euros.
maxglide

Post by maxglide »

Thanks for the info.