Gas Cartridge Availability

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DaveP

Gas Cartridge Availability

Post by DaveP »

Just a quickie, I hope!
Are Gas Cartridges with the Coleman type thread readily available in France, or is it Camping Gaz only territory?
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
jamesgilbert

Re: Gas Cartridge Availability

Post by jamesgilbert »

Yes, both types are readily available.
robing

Post by robing »

Is the Coleman type thread the screw in one that pierces the hole? I just asked the same question over on cyclechat :)
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

There are basically 3 types of cartridge:

- Threaded connector with valve (Coleman type - screw-on)
- Smooth connector with valve (Camping Gaz type - clip-on)
- No valve, but a dimple that is pierced by the stove connector (dangerous and being phased out in most places - you can't remove the stove until the gas has all been used)

All three are available in France, although the third is becoming less common in my experience.

For photos, scroll down to "cartridge gas products": http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/expert-advi ... el-and-gas
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

2 years ago we spent rather a lot of time in Carcasonne looking for a threaded gas cartridge without success. Lots of the Camping Gaz CV Plus click-on cartridges though. Can't remember seeing any of the dimple top pierceable ones - but we weren't exactly trying.

We did find some threaded resealable ones at a builders merchants but they were narrow & more suitable for blowtorches. As we had an MSR Pocket Rocket we needed one with a wider & more stable base. So we bought a new stove, Comping Gaz twister burner (23Euros?) with the EasyClic Plus click-on fitting & a CV Plus cartridge from the next door hypermarket.

From our experience you may be better off going for the Camping Gaz clip-on type.
khain

Post by khain »

When I toured France last year I didn't see a single screw-in type cartridge and ended up using a spirit stove. You might be able to get the screw type in outdoor shops but I didn't see any of those. The other canister type can be bought in just about any supermarket though.
meic

Post by meic »

I took my paraffin stove this year because of such scares. I decided to look in one supermarket for meths and canisters.
It had cheap meths and screw in (EN 417)cannisters and that was in a small town supermarket.
I could have hit a "one off" .
Yma o Hyd
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Take one of these with you http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/ ... aptor-p454

Then you can use either the Camping Gaz push fit or the screw on when you can find them.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

How do the Aerosol style cans that you can use in the cheap "family camping stoves" from go outdoors etc. fit into this picture? Can they be used with any of the "normal" camping stoves?
jamesgilbert

Post by jamesgilbert »

khain wrote:When I toured France last year I didn't see a single screw-in type cartridge and ended up using a spirit stove. You might be able to get the screw type in outdoor shops but I didn't see any of those. The other canister type can be bought in just about any supermarket though.

All Decathlon stores will stock the screw-in type, as will any other outdoor shops. I also frequently see them for sale in supermarkets, campsite shops, etc. The Decathlon stores tend to be outside of town centres, so you may be able to plan your route in or out of towns to go past one.

@HarryD, for future reference, the Carcassonne Decathlon is here :wink: http://www.decathlon.fr/fr/store?store_id=PS_114
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jamesgilbert wrote:- No valve, but a dimple that is pierced by the stove connector (dangerous and being phased out in most places - you can't remove the stove until the gas has all been used)

You can remove the stove actually if you buy an adaptor which converts them to take a screw on stove.

I've done it.

How dangerous are those things actually?

I've never heard of an incident.

I can't help but think that it's far safer to use one of those than to cook inside a tent/porch which I know some folk do. I never would.

Replies/alternative views welcomed.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

jamesgilbert wrote:
All Decathlon stores will stock the screw-in type, as will any other outdoor shops.

Is there a Garmin POI file by any chance for Decathlons? Strikes me that it would be very useful when wandering around France.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if there wasn't judging by their at times wonky web site.
Sweep
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

meic wrote:I took my paraffin stove this year because of such scares. I decided to look in one supermarket for meths and canisters.
It had cheap meths and screw in (EN 417)cannisters and that was in a small town supermarket.
I could have hit a "one off" .

Did you find it easy to buy paraffin in suitable quantities?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

jamesgilbert wrote:
khain wrote:When I toured France last year I didn't see a single screw-in type cartridge and ended up using a spirit stove. You might be able to get the screw type in outdoor shops but I didn't see any of those. The other canister type can be bought in just about any supermarket though.

All Decathlon stores will stock the screw-in type, as will any other outdoor shops. I also frequently see them for sale in supermarkets, campsite shops, etc. The Decathlon stores tend to be outside of town centres, so you may be able to plan your route in or out of towns to go past one.

@HarryD, for future reference, the Carcassonne Decathlon is here :wink: http://www.decathlon.fr/fr/store?store_id=PS_114

+1 - I ended up resorting to Decathlon in Germany last year where there are not that many outdoor stores although Karstadt Sports (found in most large towns) often have Coleman fit cartridges. The pierce style are being phased out everywhere, I'm sure I read somewhere that Calor were likely to adopt the existing screw standard at some point but I guess an adapter wouldn't be a bad bit of kit to have! :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robing

Post by robing »

jamesgilbert wrote:

That's a great tip. There's plenty of Decathlon stores in France and Spain. Seen loads already.