which pump and outline spares?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: which pump and outline spares?

Post by Mick F »

andrew_s wrote:The Lezyne may be good compared to other small pumps, but there's no getting round the huge number of pump strokes required.
So what?
How often are you going to use it? I used mine instead of track pump at home for some time and it was great. Since then, I bought a Lezyne Floor Drive for home use and only need the mini version if I go away on a tour.

If you're that much in a hurry on the road, use CO2.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Mick F wrote:
andrew_s wrote:The Lezyne may be good compared to other small pumps, but there's no getting round the huge number of pump strokes required.
So what?
How often are you going to use it? I used mine instead of track pump at home for some time and it was great. Since then, I bought a Lezyne Floor Drive for home use and only need the mini version if I go away on a tour.

If you're that much in a hurry on the road, use CO2.

I have the high volume version and its very quick, perfect for 2"+ tyres
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think Mick F makes a good point. The number of strokes it takes to get to the pressure you want is not the same as the effort it takes. My cheapo Halfords mini pump, that has a hose connection and rests on the ground like a track pump, takes a lot of strokes to get a 25mm tyre to 100psi (my test pressure) but they are exceptionally easy strokes. The tyre takes a couple of minutes to inflate, and there is no stress. The pump works very nicely but it is a bit flimsy and I will eventually replace it with something similar but more robustly made, probably from Topeak.

In the garage, a good track pump is a must. It will inflate a tyre in a minute with low effort. I like Topeak (spare hoses and heads available), but there are other good brands.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I've got the Bontrager version of the portable floor-stander inna Morph stylee, very please with it, light years better than the trendy triple-expanding SKS I had before. So I think it's "some flavour of mini-floorstander" you're after.

Spares... I never used to bother with a gear cable but having had one go and reduce me to 3 up-front gears in the Western Isles I'm a bit more thinking they might be a Cunning Plan. My tourer has Magura HS-33 hydraulics and the brake blocks are not a standard "any bike shop" item, so I carry spares of those. Couple of inner tubes, natch.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...