which pump and outline spares?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
beeb

which pump and outline spares?

Post by beeb »

Looking for advice - which touring pump to carry - carried one we got at also last year and it quite frankly was rubbish - let more out than I could put in - also does anyone carry spares when they are touring worth outliers - if so which bits? Thanks all advice gratefully received. Beeb
mercalia

Re: which pump and outline spares?

Post by mercalia »

the pump depends oh the pressure u need to get to?

I have the Topeak Mt Morph, which I touch wood havent had to use in the field yet but have tried it at home. a good one.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/tools-maintenance/pumps-puncture-repair/topeak-morph-mountain-bike-pump

as I have fattish 26" tyres that need to pump a bit of air.

I would recommend you get some think that works like a track pump with separate hose to attach to the valve, allow you to push against the ground as getting to any pressure is hard just pump in hand. I learnt this the hard way, had a quite expensive pump that had to be attached to the valve without a hose - couldnt get it beyond 40 psi think, just didnt have the strength & the seal at the valve kept loosening.

if your pump dont have a guage u need one of those also. I have a Halfords one which has been good and cheaper than many, with no moving parts, This is quite small and will do presta or schraeder. I always carry it in pannier with the rest of the puncture gear

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel/tools-diy/tyre-inflators-pressure-gauges/halfords-digital-bicycle-and-car-tyre-pressure-gauge
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have recently been using a cheapish Halfords version of one of those portable pumps that mimic a track pump, with the pump pointed down on the ground and a hose connected to the valve. It is a revelation. Compared to a pump that you hold off the ground it is much lower on effort, with you pushing against the ground rather than against your other arm. It gets a tyre up to 100psi with the normal number of strokes, but the strokes are easier. It would go higher if I wanted. My version is by Halfords and is not built to last, but I am sold on the concept and will be looking at Topeak and Lezyne for better made versions. Probably Topeak because they don't have Lezyne's annoying screw on ends. If you want to avoid spending ages by the roadside with sweat dripping off the tip of your nose and midges gathering above your head, this sort of pump is the way.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get one of these.
I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/lezyne-micro- ... ith-gauge/
Mine will get my tyres to 120psi.

You can get the high volume version if you don't want the high pressure version.
Mick F. Cornwall
khain

Post by khain »

I second the Lezyne pump, though would go for one without the gauge. The Topeak ones are highly rated too but the build quality doesn't look in the same class as Lezyne. Screw-in pumps are much better in my opinion.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, the Lezyne has a screw-in connector but it's positive and leak-proof. Also it has ABS ............... air bleed system.
ie the connector has a button that you ether press as you unscrew, or press deliberately. This bleeds out of the hose and pump, but not out of the tyre. By doing this, the connector unscrews very easily.

I've had a few different connectors on a few different pumps, both track pumps and hand pumps. All the connectors I've ever used have released some air out of the tyre as you disconnect, but the Lezyne ABS system leaks NOTHING at all.
Mick F. Cornwall
andrew549

Post by andrew549 »

I've also got the Lezyne pump currently the hp version but might get the hv one for the touring bike, only issue I've ever had is that it occasionally unscrewed the valve core until I decided to tighten and lock tight most of mine in place.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

beeb wrote:Looking for advice - which touring pump to carry - carried one we got at also last year and it quite frankly was rubbish - let more out than I could put in - also does anyone carry spares when they are touring worth outliers - if so which bits? Thanks all advice gratefully received. Beeb

the last bit, do you mean touring with Ortliebs? If so the answer is check before you go its all in order but don't bother with taking stuff - highly unlikely you'll need them.

As for the pump - I ended up buying a Lezyne whilst I was away last year after a pump incident. Mine has the hose but no gauge and the couple of times I've needed it, it has worked great. :D
I have several Topeak pumps but I find them clumsy and heavy. :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
beeb

Post by beeb »

Thanks guys for the advice -good advice- :D yes it was ortliebs afraid predictive text on the tablet. Do any of you use locktite on the threads of the outliebs?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

beeb wrote:Thanks guys for the advice -good advice- :D yes it was ortliebs afraid predictive text on the tablet. Do any of you use locktite on the threads of the outliebs?

In over a decade of use I've never had a single nut come loose nor have I lost a hook insert. Personally I wouldn't bother but I don't think it would do any harm. :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The only issue I have with the Lezyne is that there are 2 types - one for high pressure ( low volume ) and other for lower psi ( upto 90 ) but high volume. The Topeak I have is high volume and hi pressure

http://www.topeak.com/products/pumps/mountainmorph

dont know how good the hi pressure Lezyne one is at pumping hi volume tubes?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It'll do it, but requires a few more pump actuations I would think.
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Post by RickH »

mercalia wrote:dont know how good the hi pressure Lezyne one is at pumping hi volume tubes?

As Mick says it'll just take a few more pumps - I got the HP one on the grounds that I can do bigger volumes with a bit of extra pumping but may not be able to reach the high pressures should I want them with the HV version.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

A good big pump will always work better than a good small pump, so you get the following hierarchy:
track pump > frame fit (Zefal HPx/Topeak Road Master Blaster) > Topeak Morph > Lezyne.
The Lezyne may be good compared to other small pumps, but there's no getting round the huge number of pump strokes required.

Spare screws for Ortlieb panniers are available as spares, and I have both taken them on tour and used them, to replace 3 of 4 end top rail rivets on an aged pair of front rollers (which pre-date the current screwed construction), and one at one end of the lower anti-sway hook rail on a brand new back roller. I've also got a pair of spare hooks & strap that I sometimes take but have never used.
If the panniers are new-ish, it's worth checking the screws are tight, but otherwise the need for spares is pretty uncommon.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Mick F wrote:Get one of these.
I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/lezyne-micro- ... ith-gauge/
Mine will get my tyres to 120psi.

You can get the high volume version if you don't want the high pressure version.

great bit of kit....highly recommended I brought mine after struggling with a topeak offering