Touring in Europe in late October

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Slowroad

Touring in Europe in late October

Post by Slowroad »

I've Autumn half term free to go touring, wondered what suggestions there were for destination? I don't want to fly, so restricted to Eurostar or ferry/train. I usually camp but I'm guessing it'll be too cold and most sites will be shut. I'm wondering about Youth Hostelling and/or vriendenopdefiets in The Netherlands and Germany, doing some of the Rhine cycle route on my Brompton. But I could go further afield and find somewhere warmer...
Suggestions welcome! I'm thinking about it now as I want to get a good travel deal.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
shane

Re: Touring in Europe in late October

Post by shane »

There's no such thing as too cold, though I've had the wrong gear with me from time to time 8)

The Rhine route is a good choice for a Brompton trip >>> http://www.shanecycles.com/the-genius-o ... n-touring/

If you want warmer, you can be in Spain in a day or two by train :wink:

ImageUntitled by Shane Cycles, on Flickr

ImageBrompton ready for a train journey by Shane Cycles, on Flickr
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I cycled from Edinburgh to Slovenia (and back) last Oct/Nov. Through Holland/Germany/Austria/Slovenia/Italy/France.

ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Is that really all the luggage you had for a 2000+ mile autumn tour? Amazing!
Chris F, Cornwall
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

If you can get your bike on eurostar as carry-on then Avignon direct becomes possible as a start point. I'd be tempted to head south generally as autumn Mediterranean climates can be wonderful.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Toured Portugal last October. 30.C most days.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Have often toured the Med countries in October.... better temperatures for touring, still come home with a suntan; Greece, Northern Spain / Southern France, there is also Corsica / Sardinia as options. Denmark was wet. We had some lovely autumn sunshine in Black Forest/Rhine valley (as well as some rain). Depends what sort of temperatures you want to ride in.
Last October Mallorca had some of it's hottest temperatures in 60yrs.
Issues might be accommodation and campsites being open, but have camped in both Italy and France using campsites that were not officially open and no one batted an eyelid or collected money.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

quilkin wrote:Is that really all the luggage you had for a 2000+ mile autumn tour? Amazing!

I need almost as much for a long weekend as i do for a longer tour. The basics are the same for any distance; only addition might be an extra set of cycling clothes so i can keep some fresh clothes circulating..
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Rode through Spain on the Via de la Plata (heading south) mid October 2013. Took the ferry to Santander and then cycled to Seville, before heading down to Tarifa and the ferry to Morocco. The Via de la Plata is part of the Camino de Santiago, so plenty of cheap accommodation and other travellers on the way. If you take a Brompton, you could stick to the N630 from Benevente going south. Excellent riding surface and the road is very quiet from Zamora onwards because they've built a new motorway almost next to it. The weather, generally speaking, was pleasant, although we had a bit of a headwind all the way to Seville.

Alternatively, you could think about doing one of the other Caminos to Santiago. The Feve train runs to Santander from Ferrol (north of Santiago) and is pretty pleasant ride, so you could take that route back to the ferry port.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

eileithyia wrote:
quilkin wrote:Is that really all the luggage you had for a 2000+ mile autumn tour? Amazing!

I need almost as much for a long weekend as i do for a longer tour. The basics are the same for any distance; only addition might be an extra set of cycling clothes so i can keep some fresh clothes circulating..

I don't bother with the fresh clothes, I cycle solo :-)
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Even more tempted by the Rhine now - I've just had a look at the Natuurkampeerterreinen website and all the sites I've looked at are open till at least the week I'm going. So I don't need to make a decision about accommodation till nearer the time, but might keep my eyes peeled for a better sleeping bag.
Provence might be my aim for Easter next year...
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Just found this whilst searching for something else, thought I'd do an update - I did cycle the Dutch Rhine and stay at Youth Hostels and Vrienden op de Fiets - it was great and the weather was wonderful for the time of year! The Brommie was fine thought a little uncomfortable on the cobbles in town....
Now I'm looking into the next installment, from the Dutch border to Cologne. Having discovered that Germany has over 500 youth hostels, I may do that again.
― Peter Golkin