eurovelo 1

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
tyreon

eurovelo 1

Post by tyreon »

Wotsgoinon?

Tried to get on to Eurovelo 1,the Portugal thru to Spain bit on this thing(the computer). Went to the site where I see it's still to be 'developed'. I thought this was the most popular Eurovelo route outside of the 6!!! So,I'm on road...and that can be 'highways'?! Plan to follow the proposed route(Eurovelo1) with some variations,but am getting a bit 'stressed'/annoyed that I can't get that much info about cycling along from Faro to Huevla. Will try to use minor road N125?A road from hell? And what happens when I cross over the border,the river...road seems to become the MOTORWAY. So? Many years ago crossed the same river by ferry. Still there? Wotshappening? Am using maps. Garmin and all the latest gizmos are above my knowledge. Anyone out there with any knowledge,experience,advice? Thanks
DaveP

Re: eurovelo 1

Post by DaveP »

Your post caught my attention because we are going to use EV1 for our trip - but, alas, the French section!
It looks as if the Spanish section has not happened yet, however if you throw Camino de Santiago, Ruta de la Plata and Cycling at Yahoo there seems to be plenty of info available, especially for the former. As the site says, these two folk routes will be the framework for the EV route.
I've never been to Spain, but some of the photos I glimpsed look quite appealing! Good Luck!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
JMaude

Post by JMaude »

You need to check out the cyclingeuro.org website that Andrew Sykes runs - he has info on EV1, plus if you read through his recent blog posts he has details of the route he has used across Spain:

http://cyclingeurope.org/latestnews/
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Thank you,thank you, for the replies. I was almost giving up. Now going to explore what I can. Since posting I have been looking at any proposed route toget from Faro airport along the coast to Spain...and bin having kittens: it looks like a racetrack(with crossings that invite drivers to overtake and cut you up). Am really beginning to dread the ride-thru: a maze o roads,no locals who cycle,no spoken Portugese(on my part). It's bad enough to get directions in England without the additional strain of a melee of roads...and racing cars(?)Of course I want to break into the interior asap. then,maybe,I can relax. This bit o my tour I'm beginning to dread,and I haven't left my chair yet. (Sometimes,when touring abroad,I just catch a train with bike out o complex joints to a small village station. It's easy to pedal into a city,but stressful getting out...unless you get on the big roads!!
JMaude

Post by JMaude »

Suggest you need also to look up Ecovia Litoral do Algarve part of which is a cycle path from Faro to the Spanish border. Don't know what it is like but should be better than the main roads.