Scotland in 2 weeks

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Re: Scotland in 2 weeks

Post by robing »

Therealsouthstander wrote:
robing wrote:
Therealsouthstander wrote:In my opinion The Outer Hebrides off Scotland's West coast is among the best cycling you'll find anywhere...

Get the Ferry from Oban to the Isle of Barra , cycle around the island then get another ferry to Eriskay,then cycle South Uist,Benbecula,North Uist then the magical Bernaray.. Ferry from Bernaray to the best bit ,the Isle of Harris and Isle of Lewis.. Then ferry from Stornoway to Ullapool.. All ferries will cost about £30 in total and these islands are a cyclists dream,really quiet roads with a great surface - Did you mention nature ? You'll be in heaven :)

Do not miss The Outer Hebrides..

I'm going to do this next month. But I will get the ferry from Harris to Uig, cycle across Skye, ferry to Mallaig, cycle across Ardnamurchan and then via Mull back to Oban.

Your route is perfect ,once You pass Harris and go into Lewis it's not as good,so heading over to Skye ,Mallaig !Ardanmurchan and Mull your going to constantly be in superb cycling areas..

Not sure if it fits in but there's a really good bunkhouse on Mull beside the ferry back to Oban...

Hopefully the weather is good for you. It's been really cold and wet this summer...

I'm praying for a bit of an Indian summer. I'm wondering how much time I'll need. I've got 2 weeks, might be able to stretch it to three.
khain

Post by khain »

Looks like a great tour. The Skye part in particular looks really spectacular.

I don't know how you managed to push your bike up steps for 1 1/2 hours. I can barely manage a dozen steps at the station.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Great photos, thanks for sharing them.
Janus

Post by Janus »

khain wrote:Looks like a great tour. The Skye part in particular looks really spectacular.

I don't know how you managed to push your bike up steps for 1 1/2 hours. I can barely manage a dozen steps at the station.

Skye was fantastic indeed! The main road was busy, true, but the rest was magic. Great hills and views.

khain wrote:I don't know how you managed to push your bike up steps for 1 1/2 hours. I can barely manage a dozen steps at the station.

I just slowly pulled the bike, one step after another. It was quite tough, but a nice adventure all the same :) Plus only 1.5 hours, the rest of the day was easy. This climb and the coastal route from Applecross to Shieldaig were actually the only difficult parts of the entire trip, so I'm happy I did them! It's good to have some exercise :)