North Sea Route Holland/Germany

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

North Sea Route Holland/Germany

Post by foxyrider »

So I'm doing the Rotterdam to Danish border area in the summer, mixed hotel/camping so luggage is @ 12kg.

I need to fit new rubber, the bike is currently on 'Focus Continental Urban' otherwise known as Sport Contacts in 700 x 35 size. They have worn well, no deflations in the nine months its been running - my biggest gripe is a lack of grip in damp conditions. So I'm looking at changing to something a little livelier but also capable of coping with the vagaries of the NCR, currently I'm thinking either Conti Gatorskins, Schwalbe Marathon Racers or Panaracer Pasela (I've used these on my Airnimal in 25c for touring on all surfaces for a decade) in 700 x 28. I'm slightly put off of the Pasela's as they've had some bad press on here but I'm open to offers!

(Please don't start rattling sabres at my choice of tyre size, I've been riding for a year or two and I sell bikes for a living but I don't have experience of this route, what it throws up and how these tyres perform.)
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tim_f

Re: North Sea Route Holland/Germany

Post by tim_f »

I recall the the route through Netherlands is mostly tarmac, small concrete 'bricks' , or poured concrete sections about 4 feet long separated by small expansion gaps.

Very uncommon for sand to be across path.

Grip never a problem - but bump, bump, bump can be a bit annoying particularly if concrete blocks have settled a bit and no longer level.

I have ridden it on 28mm tyres and bigger tyres (at lower pressure) on different trips. Next time I go back it will be on the bigger tyres.

If you get the chance take the route through Textel and Vieland Island see http://www.waddenveer.nl/reserveren/dagtochten-texel-vlieland?layout=table and http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/cycletouring/nscrinfohol.shtml Not sure how up to date info is.

Tim.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Thanks Tim that's helpful to know the surface. Not doing Texel this time due to lack of time!
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
syklist

Post by syklist »

The last time we did the NSCR in Holland and Germany we had 38mm wide tyres. They were OK, Marathons on the Bromptons in (a bit of Holland and Germany) and Conti Travel Contacts on our old tourers (Holland). We've also done the German bit on Smart SAM tyres (26" wheels 54 mm wide) which were better suited to the rougher bits of both the German and Danish bits of the route. The Smart SAMs were particularly good on the asphalt/concrete paths in Germany that were covered with a couple of centimetres of sheep poo which had been rained on. These tyres rolled suprisingly well too. Ooo, it looks like the Smart SAMs are available for 28" wheels 42 mm wide, the widest our old tourers will take. I am tempted, they would be ideal here in Hallingdal.

IIRC there was a short sandy section in the northern part of Holland where the route goes through a firing range. I haven't checked if the route still does this but it did a few years ago. That was a get-off-and-push section in places.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Dutch cycle lanes also incorporate speed bumps (drempels) to slow racing cyclists down near junctions with footpaths etc, but they are well-designed for cyclists to cross. On a weekend, the cycle paths through the dunes are like motorways, quite intimidating for a pedestrian to cross.

You will also occasionally meet the signs "Wild Roosters" and "Glad Roosters" which I leave you to deduce the meaning of from context.

The long distance cycle routes in the Netherlands I found very intermittently signposted. Thus it is useful to have a cycling map and know where you are supposed to be going according to the normal cycle route directional signing and Knooppunt (numbered junction) systems. I found the 1:100 000 cycling maps adequate for navigation, but did not show as many campsites as the 1:50 000 maps. The small campsites are the nice ones, but these are precisely the sites not shown on the 100 000 maps. Unfortunately for you the west coast is not so well provided for these small campsites - you'd find more if you took a route further east, through Waterland (the countryside N of Amsterdam) and Zuider Zee coast - and after you've seen a few dunes this area does provide welcome variety and is very attractive too.

Beware that public toilets barely exist in the Netherlands - it is common for coffee shops and the like to levy a 50c charge on non-customers using their loos. Also most campsites don't provide soap or loo paper. A larger campsite that has a "full" sign may nevertheless not be full for light campers without cars.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Got the camping sorted and booked. Some useful info there, the toilet levy i'm quite used to after years of touring Germany/Austria/Switzerland/Denmark!
Looks like i don't need anything in particular tyre wise. :D
santoscyclist

Post by santoscyclist »

When are you leaving? Seems like I'm doing a similar route but up to Stockholm, starting in July.
CBreeze

Post by CBreeze »

I will be going this way also leaving around the 18/19th July
santoscyclist

Post by santoscyclist »

Well just to let everyone know that I did the trip from Manchester to Stockholm via the Hull to Rotterdam ferry. Took 4 and a half weeks in total - great trip. If anyone is thinking of doing this and needs advice, contact me.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

It sounds like you are doing it in the right direction. I made the mistake of trying to ride from Bergen to the Hook of Holland a few years ago. Howling headwinds everywhere and many shortcuts by train. I found the riding in Holland to be very pleasant apart from the wind, mostly cycle paths with no adhesion problems (RiBMo 700 X 32). I'm sure you'll have fun.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
merrymac

Post by merrymac »

Hi Foxyrider
How did you get on with the N S C R recently.? I've completed the Wesern half and hope to do the East side next year
Brian
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

merrymac wrote:Hi Foxyrider
How did you get on with the N S C R recently.? I've completed the Wesern half and hope to do the East side next year
Brian

It was a good trip on the whole - i had three days of wet in Holland and some damp with high winds on the northernmost German islands but overall it was okay. I didn't stick hard to the NSCR as there is only so much featureless dyke and polder one can take, diversions inland to Alkmaar and Groningen and offshore to 8 of the islands broke the monotony of flat land coastal riding.

I will probably go back to some areas to explore more islands/towns that i didn't have time for this time round, three weeks just shy of 1600km with several non bike days included.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

foxyrider wrote:
merrymac wrote: as there is only so much featureless dyke and polder one can take,

I second that and for me headwind.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West