Riding Amsterdam to Stockholm

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Jedmaddock

Riding Amsterdam to Stockholm

Post by Jedmaddock »

I am riding from Amsterdam to Stockholm in August, this will be my first trip to Europe. Part of my plan is to ride the EV03 Pilgim Route through Germany and Denmark and then catch the ferry from Frederikshavn to Gothenburg in Sweden.

I am looking for route suggestions on the Amsterdam to Hamburg portion that have dedicated cycle paths and offer a scenic and interesting cycling experience.

Would the North Sea Cycle Route through Denmark offer more services and camping opportunities than the Pilgrams route?

Is the Pilgrims route better suited to wide mountain bike tires or can it be ridden with 32 mm tires on a loaded touring bike?

Any route suggestions from Gothenburg Sweden to the Stockholm area that offer dedicated cycle paths or lanes would be appreciated.

Jed
Vancouver
tim_f

Re: Riding Amsterdam to Stockholm

Post by tim_f »

I took a circular trip around Sweden a few years back https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=tS&page_id=158116&v=9i

Lot of waymarked routes in Sweden and quiet roads so no need to worry about traffic.

I would head to Puttgarden on the German Baltic coast and get ferry across to Rodby in Denmark and then head up to Copenhagen and then get ferry from Helsingor to Helsingborg and then ride up costal route to Gothenburg.

I have taken route 9 up from Gedser (after starting in Berlin) to Copenhagen and it is an excellent route. if you came from Puttgarden you could join this route.

Crossing from Amsterdam to Hamburg has lots of options. I would head to Enkhuizen on the Isjellmeer and get the passenger ferry across the inland sea to Stavoren and then join the North Sea Cycle route to the German Border. Then head to Bremen and then follow D7 to Hamburg. There many possibilities all good. I would use an on line route planner which uses open cycle maps and work out the route which matches your available days.

I think you would be fine on 32 mm tyres which ever way you go,

I would make route a mixture of coastal and inland. I think the Baltic part of Denmark is wonderful.

Which ever way you go you have a great time.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There is very little cycling in Denmark that can't be done on 32 mm tyres.

As for Göteborg - Stockholm....
http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/102918- ... 14/terrain is one alternative. Also, I think any route north of Vättern on minor roads would be good (although a bit longer).
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jedmaddock

Post by Jedmaddock »

Thanks for the replies, great information and it will certainly help me with my planning.
Jed
glasgowjim

Post by glasgowjim »

Thanks vorpal your route is impressive. Did you preplan it in detail or just the main points and alter on route as the humour took you?

My son and I are going to do the reverse route and are at the stage of pencilling in days and distances with approx routes.
We intend to take a tent and are hoping to wild camp en route at times. Interestingly the rough outline of our journey although not matching yours is fairly close. We will be travelling from stockholm to malmo via gothenburg . Then overnight ferry to travemunde and onto Bremen and then Amsterdam . With the time available we will end up having to take the train for the final part of our journey to reach the ferry at Ijmuiden. We intend to make the first day of cycle travel from Stockholm to Trosa (campsite) and from there head on to Nykoping ......

Reason for the overambitious route is I retire and this might be the only time I get to travel a long european tour before the wife closes things down. PS I will be 62 and son 33 when we make the road trip of a lifetime.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

@glasgowjim, I assume you're Scots? Göteborg is semi-famously a Scots part of Sweden, there's lots of Scottish connection with the place. If you're passing through you might want to do a wee bit of research beforehand, to make the trip there more of interest. 'Scots in Gothenburg', 'Goth Scots', etc... You may have noticed the abundance of pubs name Goth/Gothenburg around Scotland :-)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

glasgowjim wrote:Thanks vorpal your route is impressive. Did you preplan it in detail or just the main points and alter on route as the humour took you?

It's not actually my route. I found it as posted on the link when I was looking for myself. And I tend to wander a bit, rather than follow exactly what I plan. I marked it out on a paper map, and mostly followed it.

The most extreme variation was at Vånga, where I followed the cycle path onto a minor road and didn't realise my mistake until I the road ended. I met another cyclist not long after who recommended a route the other way round Glan (the lake, there) and a cafe at Svärtinge (Nina's) that was good. My accidental alternative was a bit hiller, and I missed Norrköping, but it was nice. It also looked to have good camping.

Another good place to eat was Kulturhuset Spira in Jönköping.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom