Cycling in Paris from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse TGV

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Wh33ly

Cycling in Paris from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse TGV

Post by Wh33ly »

I am looking at cycling in Paris from Gare du Nord to the Montparnasse TGV station by Brompton. Any tips, routes or map suggestions would be welcome.
Or should I just use the Metro?
Thanks
Frank
buryman

Re: Cycling in Paris from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse TGV

Post by buryman »

robgul

Post by robgul »

I've ridden it the other way - no real issues (even in the traffic at 0900 on a Tuesday morning)... and even more interesting if you go via l'Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) and the big Blackpool tower-like thing!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

We did this in the opposite direction last August. The route is a no-brainer: straight down Bd. Sebastopol, across Ile de la Cité onto the Bd. St-Michel and on until it intersects the Bd. Montparnasse, where you turn right and continue until you see the signs for the station. The nice thing is that bikes take the separate bus/taxi lane in the middle of the road, so you're protected from the worst of the traffic. Traffic lights at just about every intersdection.

It'll be a bit busier if you're not travelling in August, but should be fun all the same.

Oh, it's about 7 km and downhill false flat for the first 3 or 4. Wouldn't mind doing it again myself in either direction.
Have we got time for another cuppa?